Purchased and installed 1password app for Mac (6.5) last night, now the Master password won't work

MyWorld
MyWorld
Community Member

I used it for several login accounts and tried it multiple times. The surprising fact is that the same password works for iOS version but it won't work on Mac version anymore. It has already taken me about four hours since this morning and was kept out of logging into my emails. I am absolutely not satisfied with this more than unnecessary trouble due to tech glitches at 1password. If I can't get to use my correct Master Password and there is no way to reset it, what's the point in relying on cloud based data through 1password.

I also removed extension, uninstalled app, rebooted Mac and reinstalled app, still it won't recognize my otherwise correct Master Password. Please help me in restoring my access to 1password so I can log in to my accounts. Thx

1Password Version: 6.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS Sierra 10.12.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I purchased and installed my 1password for mac(6.5) last night, now the Master password doesn't work

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @MyWorld,

I apologize for the delayed response here! I'm also sorry to hear your master password isn't working to unlock the 1Password app on your Mac.

I see that you've also been in touch with us about this via email and are waiting to hear back again from someone about your latest message. Someone will reply to you as soon as possible with more information, and we'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid creating any confusion between here and there. Thanks for your patience! :)

ref: QEW-28538-263

• mwa
    mwa
    Community Member

Hi Drew,

I've got the same issue, on 2 macs. One of them works fine until I try to fix the other. Now none of them doesn't work anymore.
    Can you help me so quickly?

Mac OS 10.12.1

• mwa
    mwa
    Community Member

Sorry the thread was sent too early.
    1password V 6.5.3 (653001)

If you need any information I can send it to you.

Thanks

• Hi @mwa ,

One thing you can do is restore from backup.
    1. Open 1Password and go to the Backups preferences.
    2. Select the latest backup from when your master password last worked and click Restore.
    3. 1Password will then quit. Relaunch and enter your old Master Password. You will need to set up sync again after doing this. The restore process turns off syncing.

If the above does not work, can you let us know how did you try to fix the other device? The only way a Master Password will change is if you change it in the preferences, or you change it on another device, and enter the new password.

Thanks,
    Kevin

• mwa
    mwa
    Community Member
    edited January 2017

Hi Kevin,

Sorry for the delayed response. Personals issues.
    So, First on the other machine all things went better after the use of 1Password5Troubleshooting.app.

But Secondly, on the other one, nothing goes even after your procedure. Actually, I've got several backups but they doesn't appear on the list. Like if the main app was not directed on the right database.
    The Safari extension accept it's main password, pointed the right database and I can see all my passwords, while the main app is not opened by the main password and the preferences panel doesn't display the backups, so my passwords are not reachable.

The 1Password5Troubleshooting.app has no effect.

Please help.

Regards

Miguel

• mwa
    mwa
    Community Member
    edited January 2017

***** UPDATE *****

I have to apologise Kevin.
    Coming back from lunch, ALL BACKUP APPEARS in the preference panel list, and I was able to restore one of the good ones (before the issue) and then re find a normal use of the software.

Thanks you for your help.

You can close the case, I will let you know any new issue (if there is).
    Both of them works now.

Thanks a lot.

Miguel

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of ag_kevin, you're welcome. I'm happy to hear you're up and running again. Please let us know if you need anything else. We're here for you!

This discussion has been closed.