Need to restore standalone 1Password 3.8 data

SanFran
SanFran
Community Member

I have a mid-2010 MacBook Pro. It was running OS 10.6.4 when it froze. Of course, I didn't have a current backup, but was able to copy all the folders/files to an external drive before the hard disk was reformatted and OS 10.8.5 was installed. I'd been running 1Password 3.8.21 (build 32009). I've installed 1Password 4.4.3 from the Agile site, but don't know where to find the data to restore.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:undefined, kb-search:1password 4 mac vault, kb:undefined, kb-search:1password 4 mac vault

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @SanFran,

Sorry to hear about the problems with your MacBook Pro! Fortunately it sounds like you were able to copy your files to another drive. As long as the files/folders you copied include your 1Password 3 data, we can definitely help you restore that to 1Password 4.

First, if you had been syncing 1Password 3 with Dropbox, you don't need the files you copied in order to restore your 1Password data. You just need to install Dropbox on your Mac, allow it to download all your files stored in your Dropbox account, and then sync 1Password 4 with your 1Password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox. If 1Password 4 doesn't automatically find the 1Password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox when you first open it, you can create set it up as a new user with a brand new vault, then go to 1Password > Preferences > Sync and use the Dropbox option to choose the 1Password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox.

If you hadn't been syncing 1Password 3 with Dropbox, your 1Password.agilekeychain file would have been stored in the following location:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain

Please note the ~ indicates your Mac user folder, which is located here: Macintosh HD/Users/[your Mac user folder]/

If you find that file, you should be able to choose it when setting up 1Password 4, or you can set it up as a new user with an empty vault and use the Folder sync option (in 1Password > Preferences > Sync) to sync the data from the 1Password.agilekeychain file.

Does that help? If you get stuck, just let us know what happens and we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• SanFran
    SanFran
    Community Member

Drew,

Thanks very much! I hadn't stored a copy in Dropbox and your instructions for locating the keychain file worked perfectly. I'm up and running 1Password4!! HUGE sigh of relief.

--Barbara

• @SanFran On behalf of Drew, you are very welcome! Please do let us know if there's ever anything else we can do to help out.

This discussion has been closed.