Carbon Copy Cloner wont dismount

tonyt
tonyt
Community Member

Hi
All of a sudden this has started, after the last update I think. The error I get is 1password mini is in use, and it shows several versions of both 1passord and 1password mini on the clone disc. I have unchecked the 1password app in the ccc backup schedule.
I am using the latest version of 1p from the app store and also the latest version of el capitan on an imac.
Please can you help?
Many thanks......

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• tonyt
    tonyt
    Community Member
    edited November 2016

Bump for anyone?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tonyt: Indeed, this is a symptom of the reason we recommend not having multiple copies of 1Password hanging around: macOS will sometimes launch the wrong one. So in this case, it's launched one on your clone drive, so you're unable to dismount it cleanly. The best thing to do would be to restart your Mac, remove 1Password from the clone drive, and then exclude the app from future backups. After all, you can always download it from our site, and it can potentially save you a lot of headaches like this. Cheers! :)

• tonyt
    tonyt
    Community Member

Hi Brnty
    But that is my point, I DID / HAVE EXCLUDED 1 Password from the CCC schedule for ages now, but all of a sudden it has backed itself up again, so what's going on there then? Also, how do I exclude 1Password Mini from the backup schedule as this is the app mentioned in the error report as to why CCC wont dismount? I do hope you can help me again.
    Cheers.....

• tonyt
    tonyt
    Community Member

Sorry BRENTY!
    Also, how come 1Password can launch from a clone disc, not the boot disc?
    Cheers.....

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tonyt,

I DID / HAVE EXCLUDED 1 Password from the CCC schedule for ages now, but all of a sudden it has backed itself up again, so what's going on there then?

I'm afraid I don't know why Carbon Copy Cloner would be backing up the 1Password app if you've excluded it in the CCC settings. That's a function of CCC, and not something 1Password controls. If you check the CCC settings again and 1Password is still excluded from backups, but it's being backed up anyway, you might need to contact the developer of CCC to see if they can help.

Or for now, if you delete the backup copies of 1Password from the clone drive, the 1Password app on the main drive should work correctly (at least until CCC copies 1Password back to the clone drive again). Or it should also work if you reboot your Mac & disconnect the clone drive. Have you tried that in order to confirm 1Password will work?

Also, how do I exclude 1Password Mini from the backup schedule as this is the app mentioned in the error report as to why CCC wont dismount?

1Password mini is a component inside the 1Password app file. So as long as exclude the 1Password app from being backed up, 1Password mini will also be excluded.

Also, how come 1Password can launch from a clone disc, not the boot disc?

That's not exactly what's happening here: When you launch the main 1Password app, it asks the operating system to find and open 1Password mini. But the problem is that, if the operating system finds multiple copies of the 1Password app, it often tries to open the wrong copy of 1Password mini. In this case, when you open the 1Password app on your main drive, the OS is trying to launch a copy of 1Password mini from the backup drive.

Unfortunately there's not much we can do because the OS (specifically launchd) determines which copy of 1Password mini to run. This must be fixed by Apple on the OS level. It doesn't affect many apps because not many apps are running two separate components at the same time.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you about that! If you're able to remove the backup copies of 1Password from your clone drive and stop CCC from making more backups of it, you shouldn't run into this problem.

• tonyt
    tonyt
    Community Member
    edited November 2016

Many thanks for a full explanation. At least now I know whats going on and keep a proper eye on things, not ideal though in this day and age from a tech dev level.
    Thanks again Drew and cheers........

• On behalf of Drew, you're welcome. If you have further questions, please let us know.

Cheers,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.