Can't Update to Current Version

glc1PW_081416
glc1PW_081416
Community Member
edited November 2016 in Mac

I purchased my 1Password today. I had it previously, worked fine, but no updates due to licensing blocked by Apple due to price dispute.. I repurchased today from your website, and now have a new license. I don't want to lose what is in the old 1Password. I got an alert today to update from the App store, but the App store will not allow it. The App store version update is higher than the one I received from your website. What do I do to update? And how do I know if I am really using the most updated version? Will I be notified of updates?
I now have a message that says it cannot install my Safari Extension 4.6.1.
I think the computer is confused with the old and new password license??

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• glc1PW_081416
    glc1PW_081416
    Community Member

My Safari Extension 4.6.1 - is this from the previous 1Password?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@glc1PW_081416: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! You're on the right track. You can install the current versions of both 1Password and its extensions here:

1Password downloads

1Password browser extensions

Safari will probably prompt you to install it from the gallery instead. This is up to you. The gallery will update the extension automatically, but it does tend to lag behind a bit since Apple needs to approve it first. If you're not in a hurry though, that's probably the easiest option. So 4.6.1 is okay. 4.6.2 should be available there soon.

1Password for Mac is currently slightly different in the Mac App Store and AgileBits Store versions, but they'll be the same again shortly. Since you're having trouble with the App Store, the best thing to do would be to remove that version and use the one from our website, since you have a license for that now. Just be sure to follow the instructions in your license email to register it.

Remove the extension from Safari, drag the app to the Trash, restart your Mac, and then install a fresh copy of each using the links above and you should be all set. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• glc1PW_081416
    glc1PW_081416
    Community Member

Thanks, Brenty. I followed the directions. Version 6.3.5 was downloaded. I imported the data from my old application, and deleted the old application. I updated a few items in 1Password. This evening, a notice of update came, of version 6.5.1, I downloaded it... but version 6.3.5 was still opening. I downloaded 6.5.1 again, but same result. I keep getting a notice I am using an outdated version, but it won't take. What would you suggest next? I'm still getting notices to update. Also, where is the actual application of 1Password located - I don't see it in my applications?

• @glc1PW_081416,

This definitely sounds like you launched the copy of 1Password from your downloads folder and got bitten by a "feature" of macOS Sierra called AppTranslocation. Under that feature your application gets silently copied to a read only disk image and run from there. Your best bet is to hold down the control key while quitting 1Password and then deleting 1Password 6.app from your Downloads folder. Instead download from here and install to your /Applications folder.

Rudy

• glc1PW_081416
    glc1PW_081416
    Community Member

Sorry, but today, 1Password won't even open, so that I can quit it using the method you described. I have a picture of the error message, but I'm getting "file not allowed" when I drop it in. At any rate the message says "There is no file set to open the URL extension: //activate/Safari." Then it is asking me to choose an application...?? Do I just delete 1Password from the downloads file and then try the download button above? I appreciate you are sticking with me on this.

• @glc1PW_081416,

Yup, we just wanted to make sure that 1Password wasn't still running. You should be ok to go forward with the remaining step of downloading the pkg and the install.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.