syncing 1Password's data base

midiw
midiw
Community Member

I have several external firewire and/or usb drives with different mac OS.

Is it possible to have 1Password's data base on just my main iMac's hard drive and link or sync the other hard drives with their 1Password to the main hard drive's 1Password's data base ?

How is that done specifically ?

At the moment the data base is located on each drive and then using ChronoSync the data is kept in sync ( if i remember to sync ).

Incidentally, i do not use or even want to use any clouds because of a horrible experience using a cloud and my personal information was compromised and in another instance the cloud went out of business.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@midiw: While it is probably technically possible to have a shared database between multiple users, disks, and OSes (all of the above, in your case), it isn't something I'd recommend. Even on a single OS installation sharing data between users can be problematic due to permissions, and bringing multiple OS versions and external drives into the picture complicates things exponentially. Since this is likely some of your most important data, I think that the redundant ChronoSync setup you're currently using is really the best option. That way you'll also have backups on each machine, so even if something goes wrong on one, you can restore.

I'm also sorry to hear that you had a bad "cloud" experience, but I think it's important to note that it doesn't apply to 1Password. Your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. 1Password is secure by design, not by chance. And additionally, 1Password's AgileKeychain and OPVault formats were designed to be flexible, and not dependent on a particular sync method. Just something to keep in mind. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• midiw
    midiw
    Community Member

@brenty
    Thank you for taking time out to read and very specifically answer my question/problem.
    Your information brought up many considerations that i never even thought about: as they say, it's not as simple as you think.
    It was also great news to read that because 1Password data is encrypted even if my computer was hijacked my sign in passwords are safe because of the encryption. Although in reality i doubt any one would waste their time to try to hijack my computer. There is nothing on it except audio/video/midi projects.

• Heya @midiw, thanks for getting back to us. Brenty's answers are all completely correct, but I wanted to follow up and explicitly second what Brenty said: while you may be able to get this particular setup working I truly do not recommend it.

What versions of macOS are you running on these external drives? If they are all capable of running the latest version of 1Password 6 then the solution may be as simple as setting up folder sync in each instance and have them all sync to the same local folder. You can read more about folder sync here: https://support.1password.com/local-folder/

Hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.