New MacBook Pro fingerprint support broken

aharriscrowne
aharriscrowne
Community Member

I just got my new MacBook Pro and installed my copy of 1Password, enabled fingerprint and reset my master password. In doing that, when the session expired and I needed to re-login, the fingerprint didn't work (even though it does work for Mac system stuff), and my password is rejected too. So now I can't use 1Password on my machine, even deleting the app because it holds onto that master password info across app deletions. I'm stuck. Please help!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@aharriscrowne: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password, and device versions you're using, and the exact steps you've taken so we can figure out the best plan of action:

http://support.1password.com/cs/version/

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, 1Password does not have a "reset" option for the Master Password. Did you maybe try to change it? If so, try using your "old" Master Password. Please let me know. I look forward to hearing back from you!

• aharriscrowne
    aharriscrowne
    Community Member

I'm happy to give more info, but this being a brand new Mac, I would think that would all be obvious. MacBook Pro with TouchBar, Sierra, latest download of 1Password. I synced 1Password with Dropbox, so when I reconnected, it had a shorter password that I generally used for my iPhone. So after syncing up, I changed the password to the longer one I use with my older Mac. I also enabled TouchID at the same time. Then I exited 1Password, closed the lid on my Mac and went out. When I returned to my computer I needed to re-log into 1Password to continue setting up my various apps on the new computer. But when I tried to use TouchID, it never unlocked 1Password, and when I clicked the Use Password button, it rejected both my old and new password.

It is possible that I mis-entered my old password, but I must have done so twice for it to pass muster. I have tried a variety of mistakes in my password without success. When I tried deleting 1Password from my computer, including all Library files, it did not resolve the problem.

Let me know if you need further details.

• aharriscrowne
    aharriscrowne
    Community Member

I have been managing through the grace of Apple's shared copy-paste, but being completely locked out as I am due to what seems like a bug is making me question the prudence of relying on a single master password approach with a third party product. Seems like it might be wiser to have a redundant system of first party and third party tools (which then raises the question of the convenience of maintaining the third party tool). It has been 2 days without support on this critical failure, and while I appreciate the immediate response I got, my immediate follow-up has remained unanswered...

• Hi @aharriscrowne,

If there's a bug here I definitely want us to squash it. I'm going to be running some more testing now that I've received my new machine. Coding all of this without access to the hardware itself was a bit of a challenge.

I want to make sure I understand what all happened here though. You mentioned doing a password change. Did you do this password change in System Preferences, or did you do it in 1Password? The reason that I ask is that 1Password's Master Password is not related at all to the system password.

Could you provide me with more detailed steps, with swapped out passwords, something like this:

• I have a user account with Password1
    • I setup 1Password, and chose Password2
    • I enabled TouchID in 1Password
    • I changed my Mac's user account password from Password1 to Password5
    • I went to 1Password and tried to unlock with TouchID and it failed.
    • I then used Password2 and it also failed

This would help me greatly.

Thanks

Rick

• rickfillion
    edited November 2016

I've confirmed that there's a bug in my TouchID code that doesn't handle the changed Master Passwords properly (OPM-4590). I've submitted a fix and we'll try to get that out pretty quickly. The workaround is to unlock with the changed Master Password which will get TouchID working again.

ref: OPM-4590

• aharriscrowne
    aharriscrowne
    Community Member

For some reason the Master Password that I changed to also does not work, either because of an error in typing it (although I did have to type it twice), or because of some other bug in the process. So I am completely locked out of 1Password.

When I first synced to Dropbox, I used the password that was built into the file(s), which is a shorter version I use for mobile. I used that without any trouble for a couple hours, although I think I only entered it twice because of frequent use of 1Password.

Then I remembered the TouchID feature, so I went into settings and enabled it. While there I also changed the Master Password to my longer one. I exited 1Password, and didn't have to access 1Password again for a while. When I finally did need access, I tried TouchID, and it failed. I tried multiple times, and then tried Use Password. But that failed too. I tried multiple possible errors in my password without success.

I made no changes to my Mac user account. The only change was to my 1Password Master Password.

• ag_kevin
    edited November 2016

Hi @aharriscrowne ,

If you changed your Master Password and it didn't work, it sounds like there was an error in typing it, even twice. Luckily, you can revert to a backup.
    1. Open 1Password and choose Restore… from the 1Password menu.
    2. Choose a Backup from right before you changed it. 1Password will then quit.
    3. Relaunch and enter your old Master Password and it should let you in.
    4. You can then change it again to your new one.

Regards,
    Kevin

• aharriscrowne
    aharriscrowne
    Community Member

Oh I wish you had been right! I opened 1Password, it prompted me for a finger print, I hit use password. Then rather than logging in, I chose Restore, and confirmed that there was a restore point from November 14. I chose that restore point, It prompted me that it would restore and then quit the app. When I relaunched the app, I got prompted for a fingerprint again, and no passwords worked. After three attempts, my new password hint appeared indicating that it either didn't restore at all, or the restore point was after I made the change, not before.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@aharriscrowne: I'm sorry to hear that. I wonder if November 14th wold be the best restore point, since by that time you were already having trouble did you try an earlier restore point? It isn't clear from your description exactly when you first encountered this problem, so stepping backward may help until you get to a known-good backup.

If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to restart your Mac, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. Also, knowing your timezone and the date/time of the incident will help us find it in the logs. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

This discussion has been closed.