Will the real 1Password please step forward

LarryMcJ
LarryMcJ
Community Member

There are two instances of 1Password in iCloud. How can I determine which one is correct...or do I need them both? Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

1P.png 45.6K

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @LarryMcJ,

Good question! Seeing two entries for 1Password in your iCloud storage is normal, and it's a side-effect of upgrading from 1Password 4 to 1Password 5 or higher (version 4 used a different method of syncing via iCloud). You don't need both of them, as only one is actually in use. But the extra one won't cause any problems, so it's ok to leave it there. There's no easy way to tell which one is active, so we normally recommend against deleting it.

If you really want to remove the one that isn't being used, you can try adding some new items to your Primary vault in 1Password, then check your iCloud storage again. The one which is in use should increase in size a little bit, and it's safe to delete the one that stays the same.

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions or need anything else, we're here for you. Cheers! :)

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

Thanks, I'll try that solution as I'm an anal Taurus and want to remove the one that isn't being used. Thanks again!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! If you run into any trouble with that, just let us know. :)

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

Just one more check on this before I delete one. The one that doesn't change when I add/delete items in 1Password is the one that's only 550 KB. The entry that is apparently the old entry is 4.1 MB. Also, the one that changes has the newer 1Password logo and the one that is 4.1 MB has the gray around it, which I recall as the old one.

What's worrying me a little is the fact the entry I feel is the old one is much larger. In v5 is it possible to have less data size to backup, even though the entries are the same? Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@LarryMcJ: It's possible — and more likely — that the iCloud database is simply bloated. Don't ask me why, but I've had productivity apps take up 5GB there before for no apparent reason. This is easily solved though: disable sync, delete both entries from your iCloud storage, and then enable sync again. Cheers! :)

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

@brenty: Worked perfectly...not sure why I couldn't have thought of that, it's so simple. It was, in fact, the smaller entry of 550KB that was the valid one. This one is worthy of adding to your FAQs :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@LarryMcJ: Well, the trouble with going by size is that it depends entirely on your data. I didn't want to leave anything to chance. Glad that helped! :)

This discussion has been closed.