Is it ok to delete the older .agilekeychain sync file?

Comments

• gold47
    gold47
    Community Member

A similar concern: after setting 1PW's sync to "none" and then Dropbox again, it created a "1Password.opvault" file in a Dropbox folder named "Apps" which I'd never seen before. I too now have both an .agilekeychain and an .opvault in my drop box.
    I'm assuming doing the unsync/resync caused the old .agilekeychain to be converted (right?) to the newer format, but I'm concerned the new file is 7 MB while the old one is 26.4 MB -- quite a difference!

So before I delete the old .agilekeychain file, does this size difference should OK?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gold47,

Thanks for writing in to ask us about that! I hope you don't ming, but I've moved your message to a separate discussion so we can concentrate on your specific question/setup.

...after setting 1PW's sync to "none" and then Dropbox again, it created a "1Password.opvault" file in a Dropbox folder named "Apps" which I'd never seen before. I too now have both an .agilekeychain and an .opvault in my drop box.

When you re-enabled sync with Dropbox, it sounds like you selected your main Dropbox folder instead of the specific .agilekeychain sync file within Dropbox. It didn't find a .opvault sync file (the new default format) in the default location of Dropbox/Apps/1Password/ so it created a new one there.

That's not a problem, and if your other devices are also using the latest version of 1Password, you can use the new .opvault sync file. You'll just need to update the sync settings in 1Password on each of your other devices so they also point to that new sync file.

Alternately, you can disable & re-enable sync with Dropbox in 1Password on your Mac again, and this time select your .agilekeychain sync file. Basically, either sync file is fine as long as all your devices are syncing to the same one.

I'm assuming doing the unsync/resync caused the old .agilekeychain to be converted (right?) to the newer format...

Technically, it didn't actually 'convert' the old sync file - it copied your vault from the main database to a brand new sync file in the new format (the main 1Password database on your Mac remains the same regardless of what kind of sync file you're using). That happened partly because you disabled/re-enabled the sync settings on your Mac, but more specifically, it happened because you chose the main Dropbox folder instead of choosing the existing sync file.

...but I'm concerned the new file is 7 MB while the old one is 26.4 MB -- quite a difference!

Indeed! But since the .opvault format stores data differently / more efficiently than the older .agilekeychain format, a size difference is completely normal.

So before I delete the old .agilekeychain file, does this size difference should OK?

As long as the new .opvault file is working to sync changes between your devices, there's no need to be concerned about the size difference. Just make sure you update the sync settings in 1Password on your other devices so they all point to the new sync file, and you can delete the old sync file if you'd like (or switch 1Password on your Mac back to the old sync file and delete the new one - either way is fine).

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions about that, just let us know! :)

This discussion has been closed.