Update from v6.3.5 on Macbook OS Sierra 10.12.1 failed - advised app is damaged; download again

Slowboat11
Slowboat11
Community Member

1Password 6.3.5 is installed on my Desktop (El Capitan 10.11.6) and two Macbooks (OS Sierra 10.12.1). I tried to update the app on one of the Macbooks. The effort failed. When I try to open 1Password on that Macbook, I now get a message that the app is damaged and can't be opened. I am told to download the app again from the App Store. When I go to the App Store, it appears I have to purchase the app for $64.99. I have the following questions:
1. Why should I have to purchase the app again when it crashed due to no fault of mine?
2. How can I download the app without paying again.
3. If/when I download the app, how do I recover/reinstall on the affected Macbook all of the data previously stored?

P.S. 1Password continues to function properly on the Desktop. I've not tried the other Macbook.

1Password Version: 6.3.5
Extension Version: 4.6.2.90
OS Version: OS Sierra 10.12.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Slowboat11,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with the Mac App Store version of 1Password! I'm sure we can help get this all sorted out.

1. Why should I have to purchase the app again when it crashed due to no fault of mine?

You shouldn't! Just open the Mac App Store and click on the Purchased section at the top. Find 1Password in your list of purchased apps, then click the 'Install' button next to it.

If you can't find 1Password in your list of purchased apps, please make sure you're signed into the Mac App Store with the same Apple ID you had used to purchase it.

2. How can I download the app without paying again.

When you purchase an app from the Mac App Store, Apple allows you to download it again for free as long as you're signed in with the same Apple ID you used when you made the purchase. This knowledgebase article on Apple's support site might be helpful: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202161

3. If/when I download the app, how do I recover/reinstall on the affected Macbook all of the data previously stored?

Your 1Password data is stored separately from the 1Password app file. So if you delete the 1Password app file from Applications, you're only deleting the app itself - all your 1Password data is still on your Mac where it always is. The re-downloaded copy of the 1Password app will find the data just like the previous one did.

Does this help at all? Unfortunately we don't have any control over Apple IDs or what Mac App Store purchases are associated with them - that's controlled entirely by Apple. But if you're still unable to reinstall 1Password from the Mac App Store for some reason, we can help you switch to the AgileBits Store version instead. Just let us know how it all goes. Thanks! :)

• Slowboat11
    Slowboat11
    Community Member

Before I try the Apple App Store, can you tell me how to download it again from the AgileBits Store. If memory serves, I think I purchased the app directly from you.

Thanks for your help.

• @Slowboat11,

You could download it from https://agilebits.com/downloads but if you had previously been using the App Store version you would need to import your data from the Mac App Store version during the first run setup window.

Out of completeness I did check our license system with the email address you have on your forum account and it turned up no purchases so its probably pretty likely that you did buy from the Apple App Store. Doubly so because the message you received about the corrupt app only happens on Apple App Store applications.

Rudy

• Slowboat11
    Slowboat11
    Community Member

It worked via the App Store. Thanks!

• @Slowboat11,

Great to hear, let us know if you have any other questions in the future.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.