Annoying Extension Update - SUSPECT

HelloKristopher
HelloKristopher
Community Member

Today when I turned on my computer, I got a pop up that is asking to update 1Password extensions. I've been using this product for a number of years and NEVER has it asked me to do this. I have always just accepted the updates via the Apple App Store. So why now is it asking me to use some website to update? Needless to say, I'm skeptical of updating anything via a web browser WHEN it has never ever asked me before. If this is in fact a true 1password update - JESUS - if I click "not now", I mean NOT RIGHT NOW! So the pop up that just repeats itself to the point I have to shut the app down is NOT cool. I'm right to be cautious, this app holds all kinds of sensitive informations and the mere fact its asking me to update in a way that it has never asked me before is suspect. I'm pretty troubled by this and now considering to just scrap it and use Apple's built in keychain. Lastly, if this is a update (even if it is just to update extensions) why is it not being done in the Apple App Store?

The actual pop up reads

"Update the 1Password extension - The 1Password extension requires an update to continue working in Safari. To update later, visit 1pw.ca/browswer"

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• HelloKristopher
    HelloKristopher
    Community Member

1Password
    Version 6.5 (650034)
    Mac App Store

• Hi @HelloKristopher ,

You are correct to be suspicious, but I can confirm that you should indeed update your extension. We recently added an enhancement to extension communication with 1Password. Unfortunately, it requires an update to the extension to work properly. You need at least version 4.6.1 of the extension.

To update, you can open the Extensions preferences in Safari, and update there, or go to 1pw.ca/browser - either are valid.

Regards,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.