Message tells me I have more than one copy of 1PW

DeeRay
DeeRay
Community Member

I'm using 6.3.5 and am trying to do latest update. Message window tells me I have more than one copy of 1PW6, but then gives the path to only one copy which is the only copy on my HD. I have no copies in my backups. Given the message and the explanation on your site, I would expect to see at least two copies listed in the window but there is only that one and if I were to remove it I would have no functional copy that I am aware of. I recently cloned my MacBook Pro HD to a new SSD and installed it in a mac mini that has replaced the MBP. Otherwise I can't think of anything unusual that I've done. I also use Private Internet Access when on the internet.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.2.90
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:updates

Comments

• Hi @DeeRay ,

The list shows copies other than the one running. Do you have a copy in your downloads, perhaps? It sounds like your computer is running the updater from a different copy. The next time this happens, while the message is displayed, leave it there and do the following:

1. Open the Activity Monitor and search for 1Password Updater.
    2. Click the i button in the toolbar.
    3. Click on "Open Files and Ports"
    4. The first line there should show where the Updater is running from. You should see a long path something like
      /Users/yourusername/Downloads/1Password 6.app/…

Is it the same path as what is showing in the Updater message? If not, that should be showing where the other 1Password copy is located. And you can trash it there. Only do this if it shows the path to a 1Password app.

Please let us know how that works or if the path doesn't actually point to a 1Password app.

Regards,
    Kevin

• DeeRay
    DeeRay
    Community Member

Hi Kevin, Had to wait till all our Thanksgiving fun had settled down. I attempted to update and left it running while finding the destination in Activity Monitor. Attached is a screen shot of both the update list and the Open Files and Ports results. The first does not lead to a 1PW app, nor start with Users. I've had no problem with updating on my MacBookAir. I cloned a new SSD drive from my MBPro spinning drive and installed it in a 2012 mac mini I am now using as mentioned in the initial post. That's the MBPro Clone listed at the start of the update path. Is that a factor? I appreciate further advice. Will also post separately about recent update to iOS 10.1.1 apparently making 1PW disappear from my iPhone if I don't find info in this forum. Thanks, DR

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @DeeRay,

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving! Sorry to hear you're still running into the "extra copies" problem during the update, though.

Thanks for the screenshot! The message you see during the update only shows 'extra' copies of the 1Password app, so the one you're currently using should not be listed. The 1Password app needs to be in the main Applications folder on a Mac, which is [main drive]/Applications/. But if I understand, "MBPro Clone" is the name of the main drive on your Mac Mini, which means the "extra" copy shown in the update message is actually the "main" copy of the app, and in the correct location.

When you launch the 1Password app, are you double-clicking on it from the Applications folder? If not (for example, if you click an icon in the Dock, or use Spotlight, etc), please open the Applications folder, double-click the 1Password app, and when it opens, go to 1Password 6 > Check for Updates in the menubar. During the update process, do you get the "extra copies" message again? If so, does it show the same file path as in your screenshot?

If so, click the Update Anyway button. After the update has completed, open the 1Password app again - does it work or do you get any errors?

• DeeRay
    DeeRay
    Community Member

MBPro Clone is my main HD in the mini. I have been opening 1PW from the menu that comes up when opening the browser extension when you go to the settings gear. 1PW 6 resides in my applications folder and when I opened it from there and checked for updates it returned the same extra copy message and the same path. Went ahead with update anyway just now and everything seems to be in order. I'll let you know if any errors arise.

• Hi @DeeRay ,

It sounds like it's ok. There still may be a copy somewhere? (on a backup drive, maybe?) If so, that would explain the message.

Regards,
    Kevin

• DeeRay
    DeeRay
    Community Member

MBPClone is effectively a backup copy as a clone of my entire original HD that I created on an SSD and then installed in the mini. I also just noted that I did include all my applications as part of my Time Machine backup that is running all the time and 1PW6 is on the TM backup drive also

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @DeeRay,

It's possible the extra copy being found is from the Time Machine backup (it depends on a few things). But as long as the updated version is working correctly for you now, it shouldn't be anything to worry about. If you get that same "extra copies" message the next time an update is available for 1Password, and if you're curious about whether that extra copy is in Time Machine, you can try disconnecting the Time Machine drive and reboot your Mac, then try the 1Password update again. If it doesn't give you the message, you'll know Time Machine was the culprit. ;)

It's not really necessary to do that, though - I just wanted to mention it as a way to check that if this happens again and you're curious. If not, you can simply click the Update Anyway button and it sounds like it won't be a problem.

• DeeRay
    DeeRay
    Community Member

Thanks, will do. D

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @DeeRay

On behalf of Drew, you're welcome! Please let us know what you find out and if you need help with anything else :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.