Feature Request - 1Password for Mac Touch ID recognize when lid closed, only offer password unlock

extensioncord
extensioncord
Community Member

I use my new MacBook Pro 15-inch at my desk with an external display and the lid closed on a shelf. The touch id sensor is not accessible, but I have to choose to use password then enter my password, which slows me down some. Can 1Password detect this situation and dynamically offer only the password option when the lid is closed?

1Password Version: 6.5.1
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: 10.12.1
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:touch id mac os

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @extensioncord,

Thank you for contacting us about that! I see what you mean, and I'd be happy to forward your request to our developers so they can take a look into it (although I can't say for sure if/when that might be changed). I'm sure some of our developers have a similar setup, so that will probably be helpful for them as well. ;)

Thanks again, and please let us know if you need anything else! :)

• msimon87
    msimon87
    Community Member

I was thinking about this as well so I will +1 this suggestion :)

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @msimon87

Thank you for letting us know what you'd like to see in 1Password, we'll take this into account :chuffed:

• tmb
    tmb
    Community Member

just in case it needs more, a big +1 from me as well. I was about to report the same suggestion as this extra click is really annoying...

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know! I'll add your request to our internal tracker. I can't make any promises, but our developers are investigating whether this is possible.

We're here for you if you need anything else! :)

ref: OPM-4618

• luz
    luz
    Community Member

From me as well, a big +1!

I'm using my MBP13-2016 all day at work with lid closed and external monitor, and it's annonying to have to click that extra button to get to the password input every time.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @luz! Our developers are definitely looking into this, so hopefully they'll be able to make this more convenient in the future. :)

ref: OPM-4618

• lucasjw
    lucasjw
    Community Member

+1 from me on this.

If it's not possible for the app to determine the open/closed state then simply having both the Touch ID and password entry as concurrent options would be great--just let the user touch or type without any other interaction needed, and then it wouldn't matter if the computer is being used opened or closed.

• luz
    luz
    Community Member

@rudy great news! Looking forward to 6.7 release, then :-)

• There's a lot of awesome stuff going into 6.7. I'm so glad Rudy fixed this up for us. :)

Rick

• lucasjw
    lucasjw
    Community Member

@rudy, thanks for pointing that out! Sounds like the best possible option. I wasn't sure if there would be a way for an application to identify if the laptop was running while open or closed.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Rudy, you're very welcome! I'm also glad he was able to add that. Hope you enjoy it! :)

• @lucasjw,

Not only possible, but sandbox safe so it'll work in the Mac App Store version of 1Password as well.

Rudy

• luz
    luz
    Community Member

@rudy Thanks a lot for the implementation! It makes using 1p 6.7 is so much more comfortable with my work setup (external monitor, lid closed) than before.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! On behalf of Rudy, you're quite welcome. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.