Sync issues with Macbook and iMac via Dropbox

gregmtl
gregmtl
Community Member

The file "1Password.agilekeychain", stored in my Dropbox, is used to sync 1Password on my Macbook and iMac. However lately it has been failing to update on the iMac.

Over the past two months I have had to remind my iMac where the "1Password.agilekeychain" file is in Dropbox. It has happened about 5 times.

Today, on my iMac, 1Password gave a Sync error message and I repeated the process of going to point it to the right place. However, although my Dropbox is fully synced on both computers, the "1Password.agilekeychain" file on my Macbook has a Date Modified of Nov 16, yet on the iMac it is Nov 13.

This is the first time in my many years of using Dropbox where a file doesn't sync, yet Dropbox says everything is synced.

As a workaround this time, I archived the latest "1Password.agilekeychain" file on my Macbook, then on the iMac I unzipped it and overwrote the "1Password.agilekeychain" file there.

Any idea why this would be happening?

1Password Version: 6.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Macos sierra
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gregmtl,

I'm sorry you're having trouble syncing your 1Password data via Dropbox! To make sure I understand, do you mean you get a notification from 1Password on your iMac that tells you to fix the sync settings? And when you go to 1Password > Preferences > Sync, has Dropbox been disabled so that it shows 'None'?

If so, I'm not sure why that would be happening since it sounds like your other files in Dropbox are syncing correctly. It's possible there is (or was) a problem with the .agilekeychain sync file itself on one or both Macs. So the steps you took to re-copy that from one Mac to the other might solve the problem. But if not, and the same thing happens again, you can try these steps to reset the sync file:

First, you should backup your data as a precaution. On each Mac, open 1Password and go to File > Backup. Once you've done that, you can continue with these steps:

On one Mac (either one is fine):

• Open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences > Sync.
    • Change the sync from Dropbox to None, click the box to Delete data from Dropbox, then click Disable Sync.
    • Open your Dropbox folder on that Mac and make sure the .agilekeychain file has been deleted (if not, drag it to the Trash).
    • In 1Password, change the sync setting from None back to Dropbox.
    • Click the Choose button and select your main Dropbox folder (then click Open).
    • Click Create New to create a new sync file in Dropbox (it will be either a .agilekeychain or a .opvault file).
    • Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

Your other Mac should stop syncing when it realizes the old .agilekeychain was removed from Dropbox, and will give you an error message about that (which is expected). You can follow these steps to re-enable Dropbox sync:

On the other Mac:

• Open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences > Sync.
    • Change the sync setting from None to Dropbox.
    • Click the Choose button and select the new sync file in Dropbox (then click Open).
    • Click Merge with Existing to start syncing (enter your master password if prompted).

Hopefully this helps, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know! :)

This discussion has been closed.