What Must I Do To Recover My Passwords?

ANDubin
ANDubin
Community Member

I downloaded the newest Version of 1Password (1Password 6 Version 6.3.5 (635001)), and it deleted all my passwords and sign-ins. What must I do to recover them?

1Password Version: 6.3.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: None

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ANDubin

I'm sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with 1Password. Could you please give us a few more details about what happened? What version of 1Password did you have before downloading 1Password? The more information and details you can give us about everything surrounding this problem the better we'll be able to help you sort this out :chuffed:

I hope to hear back from you soon so we can get your data back in place!

• ANDubin
    ANDubin
    Community Member

Thanks for the help, but I just downloaded the newest version and in the process of re-entering my passwords and sign-ins to 1Password. I did start a backup for 1Password now.

• @ANDubin,

It certainly shouldn't have deleted anything by simply installing a new version. Did you accidentally switch to the direct download version from a previous install of the Mac App Store version? Also, for what its worth, the current version of 1Password is 6.5.1.

Rudy

• ANDubin
    ANDubin
    Community Member

Rudy, Yes, the version I have is 6.5.1. I got notification on my Mac desktop, downloaded, and installed it on my Mac computer. Things are working fine now. All I'm doing now is uploading my sign-ins and passwords to 1Password as I need them. I'm also backing it up now.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ANDubin,

I'm glad to hear things are working fine, although it really shouldn't have been necessary to re-enter all your data. Your 1Password data is stored locally on your Mac, and it's separate from the 1Password app file, so even if you deleted the app, your data would still be there. But as Rudy mentioned, if you were previously using the Mac App Store version of 1Password and then downloaded the AgileBits Store version instead, that might make it appear as if your data was gone (that's because the Mac App Store and AgileBits Store versions have separate databases).

You might want to take a look in the Applications folder on your Mac to see if you have multiple 1Password apps there. For example, if you have 1Password.app (the Mac App Store version) and also 1Password 6.app (the AgileBits Store version), that explains what happened. Try opening each of them, and one should have all the data you thought you lost.

By the way, in case it helps in the future, 1Password actually makes its own backups of your data. If you use a 1Password.com account, your data is backed up on our servers. If you use the app without an account, it makes local backups on your Mac. If you're curious, you can find more information about that here: 1Password backups

If you have more questions about that, just let us know - we're here for you! :)

• ANDubin
    ANDubin
    Community Member

Drew, I found this file 1Password 2016-10-24 134841 (406 items).agilekeychain_zip, and it was Oct 24, 2016. When I open it just gives my new sign-ins and new passwords.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ANDubin: It sounds like you're just restoring from a backup from the database you're using now. At this point, the best thing to do will be to restart your device, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

This discussion has been closed.