To many updates of 1Password

mario40
mario40
Community Member

Instead getting continuously updates one after the other I would prefer a simpler operation of 1Password in the various sections of the settings. Any update can create an headache if your primary language is not English.

What is the meaning of an additional account? What is the meaning of the watchtower? Why do I need more vaults (primary and?)? To many methods of synchronization on 6 devices can be confusing. What is the reason to have 1Password Mini?

1Password Version: 6.5.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.1
Sync Type: ??
Referrer: forum-search:to many updates

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mario40

Thank you for taking some time to get in touch with us. I'm sorry to hear that you've found some trouble with 1Password and our updates. First of all, you can go to Preferences then "Updates" and disable "Automatically check for updates". This will allow you to decide the best time for you to deal with them. I'm not sure what language you're coming from but I hope this instructions help you anyway :chuffed:

Would you mind giving us some more details about what kind of trouble you've found in your localization when updates have been introduced? We would appreciate to hear about it so we can work on it and do our best to avoid it in the future! About your questions:

What is the meaning of an additional account?

You might be using 1Password both with your workplace and with your family for example. Then you'd have more than one account set up :chuffed:

What is the meaning of the watchtower?

Watchtower is one of the many features we have to help you stay secure. It lets you know when a site has been compromised and it's advisable to change your password. You can read more about it here: https://support.1password.com/guides/mac/1password-watchtower.html

Why do I need more vaults (primary and?)?

This is up to you :chuffed: A lot of people do with just one vault, some want to have one as an archive for items they don't use often but don't want to delete either. Some people have a few vaults for different things, like work, home, etc... It's up to you if and how you want to use it :chuffed:

To many methods of synchronization on 6 devices can be confusing.

While you're right it's hard to find a "One size fits all" solution for this. If it were up to me I'd just use my 1Password.com account and would recommend everyone to do so. However some people really don't like clouds, or want to keep their data in different places, or don't want to get into a subscription plan. Therefore, we keep some flexibility and let everyone find what works best for them!

What is the reason to have 1Password Mini?

This allows you to use 1Password seamlessly and easily everywhere on your computer and browser. It's a handy little helper that's always there for you when you need a password ;)

If you have any questions or if there's anything else that we can help you with, please let us know! Meanwhile, we for sure will keep in mind your suggestion about simplifying 1Password and the options we offer. The downside to this is that a lot of people might miss having the flexibility :scream: We'll see where this all takes us and every time something's unclear we'll be here to help you out :love:

• mario40
    mario40
    Community Member

Thank you for the detailled answers.

1Password is a very useful program. My problem are to many updates, consuming too much time. I have to check always if a new update is for security or an other reason. I would like a simple standard version and than just security updates and necessary compatibility updates, if needed because of changes of the operation system.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We don't currently have plans for something like that, which sounds sort of like Ubuntu LTS or Firefox ESR. Frankly, most of our customers really want (and expect) us to keep adding new features and improvements to the app. It helps everyone get more out of their purchase. But certainly if there's enough interest in the future, perhaps we can try something different. At this time though it doesn't seem likely, but we'll certainly keep it in mind. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

This discussion has been closed.