How do I change the hint for my master password?

titkos
titkos
Community Member

My master password is good while my hint for it is not. I therefore tried to change my password's hint in 1Password for Mac preferences ("Change password" button).
Problem: I was prompted to enter my "new" password three times but I was not prompted to enter a hint for it.

Note:

• I used my already existing password pretending it was new.
  • I'm also on 1Password for families Plan with same password.

1Password Version: 6.5.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.1
Sync Type: 1Password for families
Referrer: forum-search:hint for password

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @titkos,

Was the Change Password button that you used for changing the password on the Accounts tab of Preferences (with your Families account selected there)?

And did the first screen after clicking that button look like this?

And are you using 1Password only signed in with your Families account, or do you also have a local Primary vault? If the latter, you should see a Change Master Password button on the Security tab of Preferences, where you would be able to provide a hint when changing it.

Instead, it sounds like you might have been changing the password for your account, which doesn't accept a hint. Is that a possibility? :)

• titkos
    titkos
    Community Member

Hi @sjk

Thank you very much.

Yes, your screenshots display what I can see and what I had been doing.

As for my local vault, it syncs with Dropbox and I'm using the SAME password for all vaults. This seems to be why I don't see "change master password" button on the Security tab.

So, not sure what to do in order to change my password's hint...

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

You're very much welcome, @titkos.

As for my local vault, it syncs with Dropbox and I'm using the SAME password for all vaults. This seems to be why I don't see "change master password" button on the Security tab.

Do you see Change Master Password there when switched to your local Primary vault? And if you select that do you see this screen, where you can provide a Password Hint?

If not, something's goofy or (more likely) I'm misunderstanding how you have 1Password configured on your Mac. :wink:

• titkos
    titkos
    Community Member

Hi again @sjk :smile:

Done now! (I wasn't selecting the local Primary vault when changing the master password's hint).

BTW, this local Primary vault is not really useful, it's confusing because it's my former Primary vault before 1Password for families existed. Problem is it's not updated since my default Primary vault is the one for 1Password for families.
    Can I delete it?

Note: I've another local vault which I use as an Archive for my old passwords. Will this Archive vault become the local Primary if I delete the one mentioned above? I'm not sure I want that either.
    If so, an alternative option seems to be deleting all entries in the Present local Primary and leave it empty. Please let me know...

Thanks.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi back, @titkos. :)

BTW, this local Primary vault is not really useful, … Can I delete it?

Sure, by selecting Delete Vault under the 1Password menu if you have no other local vaults. However, you mentioned:

As for my local vault, it syncs with Dropbox

Without local vaults it's not possible to sync with Dropbox or iCloud; the Sync tab in Preferences won't be available.

I've another local vault which I use as an Archive for my old passwords. Will this Archive vault become the local Primary if I delete the one mentioned above? I'm not sure I want that either.

It's not possible to delete the Primary vault without also deleting that local/secondary Archive vault.

If so, an alternative option seems to be deleting all entries in the Present local Primary and leave it empty.

Or you could delete all items currently in the Primary vault, then move all items to it from the Archive vault and delete the now-empty/unused Archive vault. And optionally remove Primary from "Vaults included" in the All Vaults tab of Preferences. Effectively making your Primary (and only local) vault serve the purpose of your current Archive vault.

Or create a new Archive vault in your Families account, move all items to it from the local Archive vault, then remove both the local Archive and Primary vaults. Going account-only, when feasible, is generally easier to manage than a hybrid configuration of local and account vaults.

I hope that answers your questions and gives you some ideas. :)

• titkos
    titkos
    Community Member

Hi @sjk

Thanks for all the suggestions. I eventually decided to remove all my local vaults (I created a new Archive vault in my Families account).

I deleted every local vault on my 2 Macs. Problem seems to be with iPhone: I still can see my Primary local vault listed in "1Password > All vaults".
    On iPad, everything went fine, no more local vaults.
    Both my iDevices are on iOS 10.1.1 with 1Password last released installed.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

You're welcome @titkos.

I eventually decided to remove all my local vaults (I created a new Archive vault in my Families account).

Excellent! :+1:

Problem seems to be with iPhone: I still can see my Primary local vault listed in "1Password > All vaults".

To remove the Primary vault from 1Password on your iPhone you'll need to erase local data, then sign in to your account again. Here are the steps:

• Open 1Password and tap Settings.
    • Scroll down and tap Advanced, then scroll down and tap Erase All 1Password Data.
    • Confirm that you want to erase all 1Password data from that device.

Or you can simply delete and reinstall the app, as described in this article:

How to erase your 1Password data and start over (iOS

Once you've done either, open 1Password again and choose to sign in to your account.

This feature is currently in beta testing:

• Primary vaults can now be removed when a 1Password.com Account exists.

Sorry we don't quite have that ready for you and other folks to use right now.

On iPad, everything went fine, no more local vaults.

Easiest explanation is that you originally signed in to your account directly, without ever creating a Primary vault. Or maybe it happened in some mysterious way that we'll never know? ;)

If you run into any trouble or have any questions, we're here to help. Cheers!

• titkos
    titkos
    Community Member

Hi @sjk

Thanks for your explanation. Now everything is fine, old "local Primary" is gone from iPhone.

I was impressed by how fast my iPhone vaults got populated (downloading from you servers is so much faster than getting back the data from Dropbox vaults used to be). :smile:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I was impressed by how fast my iPhone vaults got populated (downloading from you servers is so much faster than getting back the data from Dropbox vaults used to be). :smile:

I feel like a jerk for taking this for granted, but you're right! :lol:

Anyway, I'm glad sjk was able to help you get things sorted out. We're here if you need anything else! :)

This discussion has been closed.