1password 6 or 1password?

PedroFromAus
PedroFromAus
Community Member

I have two copies of 1Password on my MacBook, one is called "1Password", the other is "1Password 6". If I try to open "1Password", I get the message that it is damaged and needs to be redownloaded from the App Store. Which one should I be using?

Many thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1password 6 or 1password

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

1Password comes from the App Store, 1Password 6 direct from AgileBits. You couldn't have got the App Store version without paying for it, but the direct version has a free trial.

Did you pay for 1PW6? If so, when? If you bought it very recently you can get a refund. you do not need both versions.

You can use either version, whichever you prefer, if you do own both. But you will have to get an undamaged version from the App Store if you want to use that. Best to trash the app (do NOT use an app cleaner, as that can delete the data), empty the trash, restart the computer, and download again.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @PedroFromAus,

Danco's answer is spot on! Indeed, 1Password.app is the Mac App Store version, and 1Password 6.app is the AgileBits Store version. At some point after purchasing it from the Mac App Store, you likely downloaded a copy from our own website. That's not necessarily a problem, although it can cause some confusion, so you'll want to keep one and delete the other. When you open 1Password.6 app, do you see all of your data there?

It would be helpful if you could compare the data in each app, but it sounds like the Mac App Store version (1Password.app) is giving you an error message like the one here: If you see the message "1Password is damaged and can't be opened"

That error is related to a certificate issue in the Mac App Store, and it can happen to other apps downloaded from there as well (not just 1Password). Just follow the steps from the above article to solve it. Even if you need to delete & reinstall the 1Password.app file, you won't lose any of your data because that's stored in another location on your Mac (and not in the app file itself). When deleting it, just make sure you don't use any app cleaning tools.

Once you're able to open it again, you should be able to tell which version of 1Password shows all your latest data (or if each one has some data the other is missing). Let us know and we can explain what to do from there. Cheers! :)

• PedroFromAus
    PedroFromAus
    Community Member

Thanks, guys, for the quick and helpful response. Everything seems to be in the 1 Password 6 app, so I may just keep using this version, and leave the other one alone.

• @PedroFromAus,

While you can certainly leave the 1Password.app there, its probably important for me to mention that if you ever need to re-install in the future you would want to install from the Mac App Store, since that is where your licensing information is going to come from to license 1Password 6.app. Being a Mac App Store purchase you don't have a traditional license file that 1Password 6.app is looking for, but it can detect the presence of the Mac App Store version and use that to license 1Password 6.app.

Sorry if that was confusing, but I'm hoping you don't run into the scenario where 1Password 6 tells you that your trial has expired in the event you re-install at some point in the future.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.