This "Update the 1Password extension" box won't disappear. Cannot update Extensions???

Dan_The_Umbrella_Man
Dan_The_Umbrella_Man
Community Member

Besides the "Update the 1Password extension" box not disappearing, when I select "Update Now", it sends a file to my Downloads folder: https://d13itkw33a7sus.cloudfront.net/dist/1P/ext/1Password-4.6.2.safariextz, when I double click it, I receive an "error" message that states: An error occurred while installing the extension “1Password”. This is very frustrating, as I cannot access by bank account or any of the other 216 logins and sensitive data that is stored in my 1Password application. Please help and please help quickly. Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.5.1
Extension Version: don't know
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:hi there, this little "Update the 1Password extension" box won't disappear

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Dan_The_Umbrella_Man,

Sorry you're having trouble with updating the 1Password extension for Safari. First remove the extension that's currently installed, then try installing the updated version.

After it's successfully updated you'll be asked to authorize your browser:

If you see "1Password requires authorization" in your browser

And that should get rid of the "Update the 1Password extension" alert.

Hopefully this goes smoothly! Please let us know if you need more help. :)

• I don't see where to enter the six-digit authorization code. Can you tell me where to find this?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Did a new tab open in Safari, and a 1Password Authorization window with an Authorize button to click, both displaying the same 6-digit code? There's an image in the browser authentication article of what they look like. And make sure the 1Password Authorization window isn't hiding behind any others.

If both of those don't open, try restarting Safari and wait a bit (not longer than a minute) for them to appear. Still not showing up? Click the 1Password icon in the Safari toolbar and see if that does the trick. Still not happening? Restart your Mac, then open Safari and see if that makes any difference.

This is very frustrating, as I cannot access by bank account or any of the other 216 logins and sensitive data that is stored in my 1Password application.

When the extension isn't working, it's possible to copy data from the 1Password app and paste it where you need it. Or copy it from 1Password mini; this article has some examples:

Copy and fill passwords into apps that don't work with 1Password

I hope that helps, and apologize for any frustration and inconvenience you have while the extension is misbehaving.

• califgrll
    califgrll
    Community Member

I also kept getting the "Update Now" notice. When I selected "Update" and Safari's 1Password Update page opened, I downloaded the update. But when I tried to open the update in my Downloads folder, I got a message saying "An error occurred while installing the extension '1Password'." After a lot of fruitless attempts to install the update, here's what finally worked for me: On the Safari 1Password Update page, I selected "Download" but then did NOT open my Downloads folder in Finder/the Dock. Instead, with the AgileBits 1Password Update page open, I went to Safari's menu bar and clicked on downward facing arrow (the browser's Downloads icon) to see the list of current downloads. Then I double-clicked on 1Password update download to open it on my desktop. From there, the installation went smoothly. When the six-digit authorization code was asked for, I had trouble finding it at first. I had to move a few things around on my desktop before it appeared beneath/behind another window that was covering it. Once I entered the code and completed the installation, the "Update Now" notice finally disappeared and everything seems to be OK now. (If you want to be sure the installation worked, in Safari open "Preferences," then "Extensions," then look at what version of 1Password you now have. In my case, although the update download file is called "4.6.2" what actually got installed is "4.6.1." Not sure why, but I know it's an update because my previous version was something like "4.5.3.")

• sjk,
    Still no luck. I tried to follow "califgrll" instructions but I cannot find the download arrow on Safari's menue bar. I did receive a six-digit authorization code but I did not receive a 1Password Authorization window with a button to click. I'm still frustrated. I need to access my bank accounts. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Sorry to hear that luck has still not been in your favor to resolve this, even with instructions @califgrll posted (thanks for sharing those!).

So we can pinpoint where the trouble is, please create and send us a diagnostics report. Here are instructions for doing that:

How to send a 1Password diagnostics report (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics with an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your diagnostics report in the forum, and do include a link to this discussion and your forum username in the email.

You're receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a support ticket ID. Please post that ticket ID here so we can track down your email with the report and get this issue resolved more quickly. :)

I need to access my bank accounts.

Have you tried copying data from the 1Password app or mini, and pasting it to where you need it, like I mentioned in my previous reply?

• I have not. I have over 216 logins and that would take quite a lot of time. Besides, that is not a solution. Does anybody else know how to solve this problem?

• I just tried to open 1Password with my Master Password -- it will not open. Now what do I do?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Dan_The_Umbrella_Man: I think what sjk meant is that copying and pasting a password would at least allow you to access your bank account while we figure out what the issue is on your computer.

I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: JWW-47444-961

• Brenty,
    Thanks for the reply. The problem that I am having now is that 1Password will not open at all; i.e., it will not allow me to enter my Master Password. Please help!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry you're also experiencing a problem opening the main 1Password app! Your diagnostics report will likely help with that as well, and I'll update the email thread with details from this forum discussion. Someone will reply to your email as soon as possible with more information, and we'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. I apologize for the inconvenience!

ref: JWW-47444-961

• Hello to all,
    I don't know what you guys at Agile Bits did ove the Thanksgiving holiday, but my 1Password is back up and running seamlessly! Thanks ever so much. When I logged onto my laptop this morning, I noticed that 1Password had an "Update." I installed it and then opened the application. I immediately received a 6-digit Authorization Code and the window to confirm it, they matched, I confirmed it and it opened and ran perfectly. Thanks again!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Dan_The_Umbrella_Man: I'm glad that Lisa was able to help you get things sorted out. Hopefully you won't run into any further issues, but we're here if you need us! :)

This discussion has been closed.