iCloud Sync not in sync

msbc
msbc
Community Member

I have 2 Macs and an iPhone - latest version of 1password on all devices. Syncing to iCloud. My MBP shows 787 All Items, my MacPro 793 and my iPhone 792. All have synced to the same iCloud account - how is this possible?? If they are synced to the same data how can they have different number of items?

Items added today on my MBP are not visible on MP or iPhone.

1Password Version: 6.5.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6 and 10.12.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @msbc,

I'm sorry you're having difficulty syncing your 1Password data between your Macs and iPhone! We'll help to solve this one way or another.

Let's start by checking the sync settings on each device to make sure things are set up properly:

On both Macs:

• Open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences in the menubar.
    • Click the Sync tab and make sure iCloud is selected for your Primary vault.
    • If it shows a different sync option or says None, enable sync with iCloud by following the steps here: Sync with iCloud (Mac)

On your iPhone:

• Open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Primary.
    • Make sure it shows the Sync Service is iCloud.
    • If it shows a different sync service or says Start Syncing, enable sync with iCloud by following the steps here: Sync with iCloud (iOS)

If iCloud was disabled on any of the devices, does re-enabling it solve the problem? If not, or if they were already set to sync via iCloud, please try resetting the sync with iCloud by following these steps:

• On one Mac (either one), open the 1Password app and go to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset iCloud Data.
    • Click 'Yes, Remove Remote Data' (click OK when a message confirms the data was reset and sync was disabled).
    • Check the sync settings in 1Password on your other Mac and iPhone (sync should be disabled and you'll see an error message).
    • On one Mac (either one), go to 1Password > Preferences > Sync and change the setting from None back to iCloud.
    • If a sign-in page opens on Apple.com, sign in using your Apple ID.
    • Click Start Syncing (the initial sync may take a few minutes - make sure you allow it to complete).
    • Once the sync with iCloud is complete, re-enable sync with iCloud in 1Password on your other devices.

Please let us know how it all goes, thanks! :)

• msbc
    msbc
    Community Member

I followed these instructions and got the same items on both Macs. Then I did some experiments.
    Create item M1 on Mac1 - does not sync to Mac2 (waited 20mins)
    Create item M2 on Mac2 - item M1 appears, M2 does not show up on Mac1

Kept creating on both - waiting to see if items showed up - items only show up on the other Mac after also creating/editing an item on that Mac. So the 2 Macs are always out of sync.

For reference: both macs 10.12.1 and 1PW 6.5.2 - using same iCloud a/c - obviously else no items would sync at all.

Is this an iCloud issue? What triggers 1PW to update/sync from iCloud since it seems that is not happening?

• msbc
    msbc
    Community Member

Just deleted 4 items on Mac1 - still on Mac2. Quit 1PW on Mac2 and started again - waited 10mins, items still on Mac2.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@msbc: Thanks for following up. I'm sorry you're having so much trouble! iCloud syncs in the background on its own. It's handled entirely by the OS, and individual apps don't have any control over it. Unless you're still using an old version of the app on one of your devices, it sounds like there may have been some conflict at some point and the database became damaged.

There are some things that just aren't clear to me from your comments: Are you missing any data, or concerned only with the numbers? Is there one device that you're able to verify has all of your data? That will certainly help.

The best thing to do will be to backup you data on each device, start over with 1Password on each, and then either restore one from a backup and sync the data to the others, or restore each and then merge the data when setting up sync.

Let me know how it turns out. I look forward to hearing back from you!

This discussion has been closed.