1Password mini fires up a new tab

eaglewebs
eaglewebs
Community Member

Hi

I'm using 1Password in Firefox on a Mac. On several occasions, I'm not sure why, 1Password mini opens a tab of its own to kind of announce that it is 'here.' Why is this? I don't want to be working on a tab then be suddenly taken to a new 1Password mini tab. It's a pain. Please stop it doing this. Stop it. Stop it ...

Thanks!
Andrew

1Password Version: 6.5.1 (651006)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Sierra - latest version
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @eaglewebs,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help with this!

1Password mini opens a tab of its own to kind of announce that it is 'here.'

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. What page opens in the new tab and what exactly do you see there? Also, what are you trying to do / what steps are you taking when this happens?

It will also help if you can let us know a few more details about your setup:

• Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password? (To check, open 1Password and go to 1Password > About 1Password in the menubar)
    • What exact version of Firefox are you using?
    • What version of the 1Password extension is installed in Firefox?

Thanks in advance! :)

• eaglewebs
    eaglewebs
    Community Member

Thanks. I think I've worked out what happens.
    My Mac receives a 1Password update through the app store. Then 1Password starts up after the update has finished. The first time I click on the 1Password icon in the toolbar a separate browser tab opens - see the attached screenshot.
    I know it's just telling me that the 1Password extension is ready to operate, but to me this is redundant info, and annoyingly it takes me away from the tab I'm working in.
    (a) is there some way I can disable the notification?
    (b) can you disable it?
    Thanks
    Andrew

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@eaglewebs: This should only happen the when the extension is installed in Safari, but if you're resetting Safari's cache it may happen each time you open it. This isn't handled by the app though, but the extension. Can you tell me which version of the 1Password extension you have installed? I wonder if Safari is having some issue updating it.

• eaglewebs
    eaglewebs
    Community Member

Thanks. Its' not Safari, I'm using FireFox.

I'm assuming I'm using the latest version of the extension - how do i find out?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@eaglewebs: Ah, I'm sorry! My brain said "Firefox", but my fingers did not agree for some reason. :unamused:

If you press ⇧ ⌘ A (Shift Command A) in Firefox it should take you right there. We've had reports that Firefox is not automatically updating for some reason — both itself and extensions — so you may need to remove the 1Password extension, update Firefox (under About, which will also give you the version), restart your Mac, and then install a fresh copy of the 1Password extension. Then you should definitely get that page, but only once. ;)

Now, if you're still having trouble, it may be that your Firefox profile itself is damaged, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Let me know how it turns out!

• eaglewebs
    eaglewebs
    Community Member

Thanks, but the whole point is that I don't want to see that page. It interrupts workflow. And it doesn't add value as far as I can see.

Is there some way to disable the tab popping up, either by a setting, or can you put this in as a request for a modification?

A watered down alternative would be to keep it but stop it forcing you out of the tab that you are working on. Thanks again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@eaglewebs: Did you try what I suggested? I'm sorry for not being clearer: 1Password only displays that page the first time it is initialize in the browser. This isn't something it does every time you use it. If you're seeing it more frequently than that, the browser is damaged or having its configuration cleared. I probably see this more than anyone, as I install different versions of the extension frequently, so I was trying to offer you a way to address the issue you're having. Please let me know if it helps!

This discussion has been closed.