Hooboy I am so confused - creating vaults, putting them on Dropbox, linking to licence

Bek
Bek
Community Member

Forgive me if this information is already addressed on the forums but I have been looking at it for so long that my head is spinning. I don't consider myself a stupid person but I am so confused right now.

Allow me to explain.

My boss bought a single licence of 1Password. He was of the understanding that, as it says it can be installed on several computers, that he and I would be able to test-drive it to make sure it fits our needs.

He sent me the download link and licence from the email, which I have installed.

After a bit of Googling I worked out how to create a vault (it was elusive) and I've done so however I want to re-name it so it's relevant but I found a forum post that said you need to log into the admin account to rename a vault. Then I tried to do that but it says I need an account key, which I have no record of. I used the 'find my account' function but it only emailed me a partial account key. More Googling and I found out how to find my account key within the program in Preferences. While I was there I noticed it said I was on a trial plan. How do I link my account to my boss's licence? Also, how do I save the vault I created on Dropbox so that both myself and my boss can access it?

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.5.1 (651005) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6 (15G1004)
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:account key

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Bek

I'm sorry for all the confusion with 1Password and the different ways in which it can work. While you can use 1Password with local vaults and Dropbox as you mention the easiest way for you and your boss to use 1Password is to get a Teams accounts. 1Password Teams was designed exactly to be used in the scenario that you describe and will make everything about installing, using, and sharing data of 1Password easier for you. You can read more about it here: https://1password.com/teams/ . If you want to change to 1Password Teams your boss can emails us and he can either get a refund from his license or credit towards the team account :chuffed:

If you guys decide that you don't want to use 1Password Teams and you want to use local vaults it can for sure be done, but you and your boss need a license each: 1Password licenses are per person, so one person can for sure install 1Password on as many computers as they use but it can't be shared with someone else. You will not be able to change the name of the Primary vault, but you can create more vaults directly on the app by clicking on the 1Password menu and then "New Vault". If you want to sync a vault with Dropbox you can find the instructions to do so here: https://support.1password.com/sync-options/. Keep in mind that you need to have the same Dropbox account installed on all computers that you're trying to sync for this work :chuffed:

Please let us know how all this goes for you, if there's anything else you'd like to know about 1Password Teams and if you guys decide to give it a try, the first month is free! ;)

This discussion has been closed.