Usage Q: Creating a new login

tome
tome
Community Member

I've been using 1Password for years and something has always bothered me that has popped to the top of my stack. When I create a new account at a random website I want to generate a new password for that site. To do that I create a new Login in 1P. I enter my UID for that site and then generate a password. I Save and Copy the password, go back to my browser, and paste the new password into the form. When I am done 1P asks if I want to save the new login. If I do that I get a duplicate entry (but with a nicely filled in icon). I then need to delete the initial Login I created in order to generate the password. This seems silly, I am just using 1P wrong?
Thanks,
-Tom

1Password Version: 6.5.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tome

Thank you for taking some time to ask us this question! It sounds like you're trying to help 1Password do it's job ;) You an generate a password from the generator with creating a login first, and we have some safety nets to make sure any password you generate and put into the clipboard is saved. I'd recommend you to try going to the new site, follow the steps and when you get to the part when you need a password just go to the 1Password extension, and pick one directly from the generator. When you finish on that page and go to the next one 1Password will ask you if you want to save the login. You can then accept and it will all be set up for you!

Please let us know if you try doing this and if it works well for you :chuffed:

• tome
    tome
    Community Member

Thanks will do that in the future.
    -Tom

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Pilar, you are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.