can 1 password sync 4 macs in a LAN with anything other than dropbox?

lopezcalling
lopezcalling
Community Member

OK, I have given up on Dropbox, just been burned once too often. Would like to try something else like SugarSync. Right now SS does not look like a great option. Can 1password be used with other syncing programs?

1Password Version: 6.51 apple store
Extension Version: 4.6.2.9
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: folder
Referrer: forum-search:can 1 password sync with anything other than dropbox?

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

If you don't like Dropbox and are only using Macs, you could sync via iCloud.

Or use Folder Sync, which keeps everything on the LAN, but then you have to use a program to keep the folder on one Mac in sync with it on others.

• lopezcalling
    lopezcalling
    Community Member

OK, I'm back. I was looking at old forum posts from 201o (!) where requests for syncing with Sugar Sync were being made. I now understand that this is a question that can be answered only by Agile. So I guess the more accurate question is: Does Agile have any provision for syncing 1 password among computers on a LAN via any other apps than Dropbox? Yes/No. Pretty simple.

• lopezcalling
    lopezcalling
    Community Member

OK Danco. thanks but each of those options are not working for me. Syncing via icloud sounds great but the fine print is I have to log in on each computer with the apple id of the home account (each computer has a different apple id) so that is just way too cumbersome. Sugar Sync does have a default created folder called My Sugar Sync and you would think Folder Sync would be perfect, but unfortunately My Sugar Sync is buried inside the "home" sugar sync application folder and cannot be accessed using the 1 Password preference search for folders. It's invisible, and so useless. I take it this means Dropbox is still the only syncing app recognized. Hmmm..

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

You might have to use a different syncing app rather than SugarSync, but I am sure it can be done.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lopezcalling: 1Password isn't designed for syncing with network shares or SugarSync, and it isn't something that we support. However, if you're feeling brave and/or lucky (and you have a solid backup strategy), you could try using 1Password's Folder Sync feature with a local folder in conjunction with syncing that folder with your other Macs.

But yeah, I'd definitely recommend Dropbox or 1Password.com. They're both able to sync independent of your iCloud account settings, and, more importantly, both have been tested thoroughly and handle conflict resolution — something not many sync solutions handle well, shockingly. I'm also a bit surprised if SugarSync doesn't give you more flexibility with the data location.

This discussion has been closed.