Supplementary copies of 1password found before update

Options
PMA65
PMA65
Community Member

Hi, I am growing increasingly annoyed with what I have to do on my mac every time you send me an update to 1password
I have copies of the 1password app on the softs backup disk permanently connected to my Mac, and I want to keep it that way
I have a copy of the app on my cloner disk permanently attached to the Mac, and I want to keep it that way
No even talking about the Time Machine additional copy on another disk which apparently you do not seem to worry about
I do not want to thrash those copies each time you update, so what i have to do is shut down my Mac, unplug the disks, update 1password, replug the disks and restart the Mac !!
Why can't you simply point to the app in the applications folder of the Mcintosh HD and ask me to confirm that this the one to update ??
Sounds so simple that you must have a good reason for not doing it that way
I love your app, have used it since the beginning, suggest all my friends to use it, and it sounds silly to get me annoyed at your product over such a trivial point
Regards, Pierre

1Password Version: 6.5.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Supplementary copies of 1password found before update

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2016
    Options

In fact the copy of 1PW in the Applications folder will update even if you have several copies, there is an option to go ahead with the update anyway.

The trouble is that if you have several copies, then 1PW may open the wrong copy of 1PW Mini and this can cause problems later. Unfortunately, this is a bug in Apple's launchd process, it can't be solved by AgileBits and it seems that Apple can't be bothered to squash the bug because it doesn't affect many programs.

I can see why you would LIKE to have copies on all your clones, but this Apple bug makes it inadvisable. Best option seems to be to exclude 1PW from the clones (easy enough to do in most cloning programs) and just clone a zipped version of 1PW. The data is separate from the application, so you can clone the data without trouble.

• PMA65
    PMA65
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your feed back - precise and to the point
    I will look into your suggestion and proceed along that path
    Thank you for your help

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm glad danco was able to help. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.