How do you use this when sites use recaptcha or other security?

Options
jts
jts
Community Member

1Password does not work on my Mac when a site requires checking a box to confirm you are not a robot or entering a provided code. When this happens, the password disappears and everything has to be entered manually.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How do you use this when sites use recaptcha or other device that forces you to check or enter code?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jts: While 1Password cannot handle the CAPTCHA for you, if you hold Option when filling, it will temporarily disable Autosubmit. Alternatively, you can disable it completely for individual items by editing their details, or globally in 1Password Preferences > Browsers. I hope this helps! :)

• jts
    jts
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for responding; this seems like a major weakness of your system as quite a few sites use such security precautions.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jts: I'm not sure that I agree that a lack of artificial intelligence is a "weakness" in 1Password, given the current state of technology.

Also keep in ming that these measures are in place expressly to prevent automation. Even businesses that are built on automated posting (spam, gambling) outsource this problem to humans (many of the CAPTCHAs people complete are actually for another site and just being redirected to get a human to solve it for them). Certainly it's inconvenient to have to deal with CAPTCHAs, but that's kind of the point, and at present there isn't a (legitimate) way to get around this.

If you regularly encounter CAPTCHAs, you may have found that some are even inscrutable to you. I certainly have. To those with visual impairments, an image CAPTCHA is, unsurprisingly, an insurmountable hurdle. And 1Password cannot see them either. 1Password can fill the information you give it to help you login to many websites more efficiently, but it cannot read a webpage, understand it, and interact with it in response. I'm sorry I don't have better news for you.

• Martok
    Martok
    Community Member
    Options

I use several sites that employ CAPTCHA in one form or another. All I do with these is tick the box (or fill in the letters/puzzle) and then I use autocomplete to fill in the username and password and auto log in. I've not had a problem with these. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Martok: Indeed, I strongly prefer those weird little boxes! They seem to be becoming more common at least, but I still get those silly "wavy text" or "pick out the street sign" CAPTCHAs more frequently... :angry:

This discussion has been closed.