Problems install on Mac and Windows

Options
nils_berggren
nils_berggren
Community Member

== Note: Also posted in Windows forum ==

I installed 1Password on my Mac yesterday. At a first glance it looks nice.
At no time did I get any question regarding how to save my keystore.
I had to create an account, getting an account key and all went OK. I installed a client on my Andoid phone - all OK.

However, I want to have my keystore in Dropbox. I am not able to figure out how.

So, I read in forums and see references on https://support.1password.com/sync-with-dropbox/

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
2. From the 1Password menu, choose Preferences.
3. Click the Sync icon, then select the vault you want to sync.
4. Choose Dropbox from the “Sync vault with” menu.

The only problem is that I don't have a "Sync" icon.....
Am I running the latest version - yes, at least when trying to update I get "thank you for running the latest version".

So how do I do?

Next question.
Coming to work, having a Windows PC I download and install 1Password.
Here comes the strange thing. When I open up I get the options:

1. 1Password is new to me (create a new vault)
2. I Have used 1Password before? (open an existing vault)
3. Recover 1Password vault from backup

So, I choose 2, and a file open dialog opens to pick a file.... But I don't have a file (but I would like to have one in Dropbox...)
OK, Cancel and select 1 to create a new Vault and a new File Dialog opens to select where to save my store. But this is not what I want.... I want to open my account I created yesterday with my stuff in.

I am completely confused.
Did I do something wrong at first install on my Mac, missing some save on Dropbox option or what?
How do I get my PC client to recognise that I have an Account registered to which I want to connect?

//Nils

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• nils_berggren
    nils_berggren
    Community Member
    Options

== Note: Also posted in Mac forum ==

-- sorry if you find this entry twice, I posted it, I think, but I can't find it..... So, I post again --

this first part is related to Mac, but gives background to my problem explained below.

I installed 1Password on my Mac yesterday. At a first glance it looks nice.
    At no time did I get any question regarding how to save my keystore.
    I had to create an account, getting an account key and all went OK. I installed a client on my Andoid phone - all OK.

However, I want to have my keystore in Dropbox. I am not able to figure out how.

So, I read in forums and see references on https://support.1password.com/sync-with-dropbox/

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. From the 1Password menu, choose Preferences.
    3. Click the Sync icon, then select the vault you want to sync.
    4. Choose Dropbox from the “Sync vault with” menu.

The only problem is that I don't have a "Sync" icon.....
    Am I running the latest version - yes, at least when trying to update I get "thank you for running the latest version".

So how do I do?

==== Next question. =====

Coming to work, having a Windows PC I download and install 1Password.
    Here comes the strange thing. When I open up I get the options:

1. 1Password is new to me (create a new vault)
    2. I Have used 1Password before? (open an existing vault)
    3. Recover 1Password vault from backup

So, I choose 2, and a file open dialog opens to pick a file.... But I don't have a file (but I would like to have one in Dropbox...)
    OK, Cancel and select 1 to create a new Vault and a new File Dialog opens to select where to save my store. But this is not what I want.... I want to open my account I created yesterday with my stuff in.

I am completely confused.
    Did I do something wrong at first install on my Mac, missing some save on Dropbox option or what?
    How do I get my PC client to recognise that I have an Account registered to which I want to connect?

//Nils

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2016
    Options

@nils_berggren: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! I hope you don't mind, but I've merged your posts into a single thread so we're not trying to have the same conversation in two different places. Now that would be confusing! :lol:

As you can imagine, when you setup 1Password with an account for the subscription service, it does not use Dropbox or have sync settings; all of that is handled automatically.

If you'd prefer to use Dropbox and sync your own data, please go to 1Password for Mac Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data. This will allow you to start over, where you can choose "use without an account"

If you'd like to use Dropbox to sync a local vault between devices, you'll need to use 1Password for Windows version 4. It sounds like you may have installed 1Password 6 instead, which is only needed for the 1Password.com subscription service. Then you can setup Dropbox sync in 1Password for Mac, and open that same vault in 1Password for Windows:

Dropbox sync setup

However, you may want to consider a 1Password subscription, since it will give you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and do away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data:

1Password.com

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• nils_berggren
    nils_berggren
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty,
    thanks for the your response.

I'd like to evaluate the product before ging for the subscription...
    I got the impression that during the evaluation I have everything there is in the full featured product, but only for 30 days.... but you say that if I subscribe I will get more than during evaluation - is that correct?
    Since I would pay for one year, I want to know it fulfills my needs/requirements/wishes.
    If I find it to be my favourite PW Mgr I will go for the "1Password Families" subscription.

I want a pssword manager that I can use offline. To me that is not using the account solution since I get the impression that you need to be online to use it. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Then I want to be able to use it on any device not needing to manually copy vault-files between the devices, hence Dropbox (ofcourse realising the confilict than can be if editing offline on multiple devices)
    Then, I prefer to have my own vault-file somewhere I decide instead of having it in the cloud where I don't know who can access it or what happens if that cloud-storage is compromised (yeah, I know, Dropbox can be compromised too, but rather one vault stolen than the whole vault-cloud. And I guess your clod is more attractive to attack than my single user dropbox account looking for a vault-file)

What should I install and how to setup on my Mac/PC/Android?

have a nice weekend!
    thanks
    Nils

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Brenty, thanks for the your response.

@nils_berggren: Any time! Thanks for following up! Excellent questions!

I'd like to evaluate the product before ging for the subscription... I got the impression that during the evaluation I have everything there is in the full featured product, but only for 30 days.... but you say that if I subscribe I will get more than during evaluation - is that correct?

Since I would pay for one year, I want to know it fulfills my needs/requirements/wishes.
    If I find it to be my favourite PW Mgr I will go for the "1Password Families" subscription.

Absolutely! This is why we offer a free trial after all, because it's just better for everybody. It's hard to know if something is a good fit for you until you've used it. Signing up for an account gives you 30 days to use it on all of your devices without limitations. Once the 30 days is up, your account will be frozen, so you won't be able to make changes; but you'll still be able to access your data if you want to move it somewhere else.

I want a pssword manager that I can use offline. To me that is not using the account solution since I get the impression that you need to be online to use it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Then I want to be able to use it on any device not needing to manually copy vault-files between the devices, hence Dropbox (ofcourse realising the confilict than can be if editing offline on multiple devices)

I'm sorry that this is a bit confusing. I agree completely that it would be inconvenient to only have access to my data when I'm connected to the internet! While the 1Password.com subscription service stores the encrypted data on the server to allow you to access it on all of your devices, each one caches a local copy in the app. That way you can still get what you need when you're offline. Of course, changes you make will not sync until you're connected again, but you can still get what you need even if you temporarily don't have internet.

Then, I prefer to have my own vault-file somewhere I decide instead of having it in the cloud where I don't know who can access it or what happens if that cloud-storage is compromised (yeah, I know, Dropbox can be compromised too, but rather one vault stolen than the whole vault-cloud. And I guess your clod is more attractive to attack than my single user dropbox account looking for a vault-file)

Another excellent point! As you can imagine, we want exactly the same thing! And you're right that this service can make us a target for attackers. So we've decided to turn this on its head and started a public bounty program (along with private testing) to proactively improve our security. And what matters most is that we've designed it from the start so that only you have the keys to your data. We never do, so no one can take it from us.

Indeed, when you use 1Password, AgileBits never has access to your data, regardless of the setup you choose. Even with 1Password for Families, your data is encrypted on your device, so all the server ever ends up with is an encrypted blob. And since the Account Key is created locally and your Master Password is never transmitted and only known by you, no one — including AgileBits — has the means to decrypt the data. You can read more details on how all of this works in our white paper, and don't hesitate to ask any other questions you may have!

What should I install and how to setup on my Mac/PC/Android?

Once you've signed up for your 1Password Account, you can setup each of the apps by logging in. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions!

have a nice weekend!
    thanks
    Nils

You too! Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.