What is the difference between AppStore and AgileBits Store installation?

Options
averyanov
averyanov
Community Member

Hi there!

I have this version of application installed:

1Password 6
Version 6.5.2 (652003)
AgileBits Store

I use it both as a 1Password team member and as a Private user. The application was downloaded and installed from the official site quite long ago. All updates are delivered via internal 1Password update tool.

Recently I found out that there is also an Appstore version of application.

So my questions are: what is the difference between Appstore and "standalone" versions? Why are there to ways of installing the application?

1Password Version: 6.5.2 (652003)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Sierra 10.12.1 (16B2555)
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

There is no advantage in the App Store version. There wasa difference at one time, as Apple in the past would only allow iCloud syncing for apps bought through their store. But after a while they opned up iCloud to other apps.

So one reason for two approaches was this old historical one. Another, from the point of view of developers, is that the developer does not have to organise their own payment method. From a user's point of view, it may be easier to buy from the App Store (no licence required, purchases tied to the Apple ID) rather than keep track of licences.

For those interested in buying (this does not apply to established users like you) the directly bought version allows a free trial period, which can't currently be done in the App Store.

Stick with the version you have, there's no good reason to change.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@averyanov: danco is correct. The App Store version exists because it's a convenient way to get apps that a lot of people appreciate.

However, I would like to draw a distinction between the standalone 1Password apps, which are a on-etime purchase for a single license and use local vaults, and the 1Password.com subscription service, which is hosted and includes all of the apps — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data:

https://1password.com/sign-up/

I hope this helps. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.