Feature Request - Change Password

Options
iceout
iceout
Community Member

I would like to suggest an improvement to the process of changing a password.

Currently in order to change a password I need to do the following:

• Select the entry in the vault I want to change the password for
  • Click Edit
    (Here is where the process in my opinion has room for improvement)

• The next step I take is to click into the password field so I can see the current password and then I click on the password dial icon to generate a new password (I do this step so I get a visual on the fact that my password has changed and occasionally I need the old password to fill out in the change password form on the website I am on)

• My next step may not be needed but I click into an open area of the password entry so the password generator box goes away and then I click Save (This is just a personal preference but I assume I could just click Save here without the extra step)

I would prefer to see an option (along with the current "copy", "reveal" and "large type") in the password field that is "Change Password"

This would then expand an area that would show me my current password (even password change history being visible here would be nice) along with the password generator/recipe options and a field showing me the new password and a save option all in one section. Making this more of a task that needs to be completed or cancelled and at the same time showing me my history and old passwords etc..

I feel this would be a much better way for me to go through a password change on a vault entry while at the same time providing me with the historical information I may want/need to be aware of during this process.

Thank You for your consideration.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @iceout,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us about this! The steps you've described are indeed a bit cumbersome/inefficient, and the good news is that there's a much easier & streamlined way to change login passwords. We take you through those steps here: Change your passwords and make them stronger

I think that method will be much better for you. If you have any questions about that, please let us know - we're always happy to help! :)

• iceout
    iceout
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @Drew_AG for pointing me to that article and video.

I would still like the capability I mentioned to be available directly in the Mac App. Using the process you pointed out let's say the dialog does not popup after changing a password, how would I know what the password is that I just changed my password to?

Improving the standalone Mac app would be very helpful for my workflow and I think it would make the app that much better.

Thank You

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I would still like the capability I mentioned to be available directly in the Mac App. Using the process you pointed out let's say the dialog does not popup after changing a password, how would I know what the password is that I just changed my password to?

@iceout: First of all, one of the greatest joys of using 1Password is not having to know our passwords...but I suspect you mean how do you find out the correct password if you change it but do not save the login. If that's the case, 1Password has an important safety net in place: when you fill a generated password, a Password item is saved automatically.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• iceout
    iceout
    Community Member
    Options

ok also good to know. Thank you @brenty . Judging by yours and @Drew_AG replies I will assume this updated functionality will not be added to the product.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iceout, on behalf of Brenty, you're welcome!

I will assume this updated functionality will not be added to the product.

I'm not quite sure what you're referring to, can you elaborate on what sort of feature you'd like to have added? When going through our steps to change your passwords, what sort of changes would make that process easier for you?

• iceout
    iceout
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG I personally would like to have the capability within the Mac App directly that I mentioned in my original post. Even if I start using the processes that you guy's pointed out to me I still think I will end up wanting the features I mentioned.

Having the ability to change and manage my passwords for individual entires in a more thorough manner directly in the App is what I am after.

I understand you have developed it to be done through the Browser plugin and I understand that but would still like to have the layout and ability as I described directly in the App itself.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for clarifying that, @iceout! If I understand, after changing a password in the main 1Password app, you want it to automatically update your account on that website with the new password. I can certainly forward your suggestion to our developers, but I'd also like to explain that a feature like that is extremely difficult and cannot work with all websites. Web forms to change passwords work differently on just about every site - they're even less consistent than sign-in, address, and credit card forms. We would need to create custom code for nearly every single website, and also update that code every time a website makes a change to how its 'change password' form works.

There are other reasons why changing a password is much easier when you do it from the website first. For example, each site has its own password requirements (length, number of digits and symbols, which symbols are allowed, capitalization, etc). If you change a password in the main 1Password app first, it might not meet that site's requirements. By changing it on the website first, you can make sure the new password is accepted before 1Password updates your Login item. Also, keep in mind that although 1Password can detect when you change a password on a website, a website cannot detect when you make a change in the 1Password app.

Of course, there are reasons why you might need to change a password in the main 1Password app (you might have passwords for apps or other things that aren't websites, for instance). And you have some good suggestions for improvements we can make there. For example, I'd also like to be able to view previously used passwords while editing an item. I'll gladly add your comments about that to our internal tracker!

You originally mentioned having to take some extra steps to see the contents of a password field since it's normally concealed, and I have a couple suggestions to make that easier. First, you can simply hold down the option key on your keyboard to temporarily see the passwords (this works regardless of whether you're currently editing the item). Or if you want to always see your passwords instead of the dots, go to the View menu and disable the option for Conceal Passwords.

I hope this helps to explain why the process of changing a website/login password currently works the way it does, but as always, we're here for you if you have more questions or feedback. Cheers! :)

• iceout
    iceout
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG I have no desire to have the app change a password for me once I change it in the 1Pass app. The only change I wanted was for the app itself to have a more thorough password changing interface and process without using the Browser extension as part of the process.

I just want to go to the app and pick an entry and click on a new option next to the password that says change password and then the fields shown on the screen will change to show the current password and option to reveal older passwords if desired and also on the same screen show the password generator allowing me to create a new password and once complete giving me a save new password button to complete the process. Then it is up to me to go to the website for this entry (if it is an internet password) and change it.

Basically just pretend the app does not have a companion browser plugin and imagine the interface you would want to see directly in the app to change a password. That is what I am looking for.

Thank You,

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah, thank you for correcting me, @iceout! I'm sorry I had misunderstood your request. I think the only thing that doesn't currently work the way you described is that the previously used passwords cannot be viewed while editing an item. Other than that, edit mode allows you to see the current password, use the password generator, and click the 'Save' button to complete the process.

So as I said before, I'll be happy to let our developers know you'd like to be able to view previously used passwords while editing an item - I think that's a good idea! :)

• iceout
    iceout
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG I feel the experience would be greatly improved if the Password generator was on the view once I choose to edit the entry or possibly only if I choose a new change password option from the password field. Currently the password generator is only a popup and I do not find that to be the best experience.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

As Drew mentioned, the vast majority of the time a password is changed, it's being done in the browser anyway, so I'm not sure how many people a change like this in 1Password would benefit, but it's certainly something we can consider for a future version. Thanks for the feedback, and taking the time to help us understand where you're coming from. :)

This discussion has been closed.