To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

1Password license with dropbox sync plus account data from family

bigtex
bigtex
Community Member
edited November 2016 in Memberships

I have a 1Password license for Mac OS which I got at least a few years ago, plus the iOS app which I've also been using for some time, and which I paid for back when it wasn't free. I sync my data through dropbox between a few of my own Macs (iMac and MBP) and iOS devices (iPhone and iPad). This works great and I'm very happy with it.

I wanted to get my parents set up with 1Password as well, and I noticed the new accounts option. This seemed like the better choice for them since there's no need to separately manage file sync like with iCloud or dropbox. So I opened a 1Password account for my parents to use to store all of their passwords and info on their iMac and also sync to their iPad. I set this up for them while visiting last week, and it works great. I know they will occasionally need some remote support from me, so I will log into their account every now and then to add or clean up data.

I can use the web interface for my parent's 1Password account to view and edit saved items. However, the remote support would be much easier if I were to just add their account to the 1Password app on one of my Macs. I don't know exactly how having both dropbox sync and an account at the same time will work, if it will cause any problems. I also don't know if that's even a supported setup, since I think the $2.99 account is supposed to be for a single user.

I tried to look up what exactly my license gets me (how many computers I can use it on, etc) and most of the information on your site now seems to be about the monthly subscription account. I saw a forum thread about this and there wasn't a definitive answer about this, but it sounded like it might be problematic.

I don't really want to sign up for an account for myself just yet, but I understand that may be the way things are going. The easy answer may be a family account. Aside from me occasionally helping them, we are not really sharing data, so I don't think we need the family account.

So I have a few questions:

1. Is what I'm trying to do (log into account on a licensed app with existing sync'd vaults) a supported configuration?

2. If I log in to my parent's 1Password account on my licensed desktop Mac 1Password app (which uses dropbox sync) will our data get mixed together?

3. Will you eventually stop supporting licenses and should I just be migrating over to an account now anyway?

4. If I decide I should take the plunge on a subscription account, can I merge their existing one into a family account that I manage? (without them needing to do anything on their end)

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: 10.12.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Jacob
    edited November 2016

Hi @bigtex! I'm glad your parents are enjoying 1Password so far. :) It's wonderful to hear you brought them on board. Let's jump in to your questions.

Is what I'm trying to do (log into account on a licensed app with existing sync'd vaults) a supported configuration?

Totally. You can use your local vaults alongside the account if you'd like to.

If I log in to my parent's 1Password account on my licensed desktop Mac 1Password app (which uses dropbox sync) will our data get mixed together?

Their vaults will be added to your All Vaults view, but you can disable it from 1Password's settings. Otherwise, 1Password will keep working as it always has for you.

Will you eventually stop supporting licenses and should I just be migrating over to an account now anyway?

We don't plan to. Subscription accounts are the future of 1Password because they make it easy to access your passwords wherever you go, without having to set up sync or consider backups. They also get you all the 1Password apps, not just the desktop ones you purchased a license for. What I'd recommend for you guys is 1Password Families. You can have up to 5 family members for the base subscription, and you can share vaults with each other to keep everyone in the loop when the Netflix password has changed. Or you could just use it to help out your parents then they need something.

One really cool feature in 1Password Families is account recovery. It gives specific members of the family the ability to help other members when they have lost their Account Key or Master Password. This could be handy for you, in case your parents lose their Master Password at some point. Learn more about using recovery.

If you're curious about 1Password Families, find out more about it on our website: https://1password.com/families

Your parents can upgrade their account to a family if it isn't one already, then they can invite you and make you an Organizer (an admin) so you can create vaults and manage things in the account. Alternatively, you can stick with your Dropbox setup an add their account to your devices to help manage things when they need it.

If I decide I should take the plunge on a subscription account, can I merge their existing one into a family account that I manage? (without them needing to do anything on their end)

Yep! We have a full guide to help you move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account. It takes a few seconds after you've created the account on a Mac. :)

Hope this helps for now! Let us know if you have some other questions.

• bigtex
    bigtex
    Community Member

Hi @Jacob, thanks for the info

I've added my parent's account to my Mac app, and now I see it show up as a separate vault. It looks like everything still defaults to my primary vault, which is what I want. I found the pref pane where I can check/uncheck various vaults and change which is default. I like the ⌘1 / ⌘2 shortcuts for switching vaults. It looks like you folks thought this through before rolling out accounts. I think this will work out well.

If I do eventually want to go the family account route in the future, I'd definitely need to do the footwork for my parents. So I guess I could log into their account, upgrade it, "invite" myself, migrate my stuff over, and then go from there.

• @bigtex No problem at all. We try to think of everything. :sunglasses: When you're ready to go with 1Password Families, sign up and take that plunge. Only when you're ready though. We'll be here if you have any questions in the meantime.

This discussion has been closed.