Upgrading to Families from Individual subscription

Options
CarbonX
CarbonX
Community Member

Two questions.

Lets say I have just subscribed to the Individual subscription, one month later, I decide to upgrade to the Family subscription so I can invite another user to use 1Password. After clicking upgrade, would I have two accounts with 2 ongoing subscriptions or would my current account automatically get upgraded?

Secondly, if the user that I wish to invite into the Family subscription already has an account (trial), when inviting the user, can I use the same email address he used to sign up with? Would he then have two separate accounts or would his account just get upgraded under the Family subscription with his data still intact?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @CarbonX! Good question. You would only have one account, and that one would be upgrade to a family. You can upgrade by signing in to your individual account at https://my.1password.com, clicking your name in the top right, and choosing Invite People.

Secondly, if the user that I wish to invite into the Family subscription already has an account (trial), when inviting the user, can I use the same email address he used to sign up with? Would he then have two separate accounts or would his account just get upgraded under the Family subscription with his data still intact?

Yes you can. They can have multiple accounts under the same email address. He would have separate accounts if he already has 1Password Families, so he could move his existing items to your account then delete his account from his Family Settings page.

• CarbonX
    CarbonX
    Community Member
    Options

Alright, so if the person I am intending to invite has a trial account under his email, and I invite him to the Family, he would still only have one account, yes?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@CarbonX: No. It isn't possible to move accounts in and out of a Team or Family. So if you invite them, they can either keep using both 1Password Accounts, or migrate their data to the new one which is part of your Family. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• wrbuckjr
    wrbuckjr
    Community Member
    Options

I have the opposite question. I opened a family account that I don't really need. Is there a way to downgrade to an individual account? Also, I would like to change my user name. Is there a way to do that? Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wrbuckjr: By "username", do you mean the Sign In URL you chose for the 1Password Families account? If so, you won't have one at all if you switch to the individual plan; all individual accounts use https://my.1password.com

To make the switch, just login to your 1Password Families account settings and click the button toward the bottom to convert it to an individual account. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.