How to update 1Password 3.8.1 with 10.9.5 to latest version of 1Password with 10.12.1

kunilam
kunilam
Community Member

I am planning to update my OS from 10.9.5 to 10.12.1. Since I haven't updated 1Password and OSX for an age, I have no idea how to update it correctly. Should I update 1Password 3.8.1 to lastest version at 10.9.5 then update OSX to 10.12.1 ? Or Should I update the OSX first then update 1Password to the lastest one ? I think I will subscribe the 1Password membership. Thank you.

1Password Version: 3.8.1
Extension Version: 3.9.20
OS Version: 10.9.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kunilam,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help with this!

Should I update 1Password 3.8.1 to lastest version at 10.9.5 then update OSX to 10.12.1 ? Or Should I update the OSX first then update 1Password to the lastest one ?

You should upgrade your Mac to Sierra first, and then upgrade 1Password. That's because the latest version of 1Password that will run on OS X 10.9 is version 4, but we've made improvements in newer versions that will make it easier to migrate your 1Password 3 data. After upgrading to Sierra, you can upgrade from 1Password 3 to 1Password 6 by following the steps here: How to upgrade from 1Password 3 on your Mac

I think I will subscribe the 1Password membership.

Awesome! I'm sure you'll love your new 1Password.com account. Before you sign up for that, it will be a little easier if you first migrate your data from 1Password 3 to 1Password 6. The first time you open 1Password 6, choose "Find your data" and it should find your data from 1Password 3.

Once you've done that and have your data in the "Primary" vault in 1Password 6, you can migrate that to a 1Password.com account by following the steps here: Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I hope this helps, but if you have any questions about any of that, please let us know. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.