"standard" to team conversion clarification/assistance

macTT
macTT
Community Member

Hello,

Individual user and recently decided to purchase the team subscription - for my family. I moved all the items from my "primary" (individual) vault to a personal vault within the team. Seeking some advice & help on 2 issues, please...

1. Is there any reason to continue the standard/primary vault? Should I do anything to remove it within the Mac app (doesn't show up in the iOS apps but may have an implication for issue #2); and
  2. On my iOS apps, I now use my NEW team master password but on the Mac app, it still uses my standard master password. I'm reluctant to change until I'm certain on the ramifications - should I change or should I somehow delete the standard/primary vault to be 100% team-based?

All latest versions of apps.

Thanks in advance!
-Roy

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @macTT,

Welcome to 1Password Teams! It won't change the answers to your questions, but I'd be curious to know why you've chosen 1Password Teams for your family as opposed to 1Password Families. Is there a feature of Teams that you're wanting that Families doesn't offer?

Now let's get to actually answering your questions...

Is there any reason to continue the standard/primary vault? Should I do anything to remove it within the Mac app?

There really isn't. You can remove it by either selecting that vault then going to 1Password > Delete Vault... , or you can go to Preferences > Advanced, and uncheck the checkbox at the bottom that says "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts."

On my iOS apps, I now use my NEW team master password but on the Mac app, it still uses my standard master password. I'm reluctant to change until I'm certain on the ramifications - should I change or should I somehow delete the standard/primary vault to be 100% team-based?

If your iOS app also has a Primary vault, I would recommend removing it unless you really need it, just like with the Mac app. I suspect that it doesn't have a Primary vault though.

When you delete the Primary vault on your Mac, it's going to do a few things:

1. It's going to ask you to confirm your Master Password.
    2. It's then going to check to see if your current Master Password matches the password for your 1Password Teams account. In your case it sounds like they don't match.
    3. If they don't match (your case), it's going to ask you for the password of your 1Password Teams account.
    4. It's going to remove the Primary vault
    5. It's then going to reconfigure itself such that to unlock the app, you'll now need to unlock using your 1Password Teams account password.

So when you do this, you'll end up with both your Mac and your iOS device having matching master passwords. You can change this Master Password to match what you previously had if you'd like, there's no real harm in doing that, assuming it was a strong password.

I hope this explains things. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.