Changing master password across all devices

toaderma
toaderma
Community Member

I changed my master password a few weeks after originally starting to use 1Password over a year ago. Recently, I got a new phone and when asked for my master password after installing the app on the new phone, the master password I've had for about a year did not work. I freaked out for a second and then thought to try the original master password the vault was created with and it unlocked. This really worries me because I feel like I don't have a solid handle on what my master password is actually being synced as. How do I change my master password and sync that to the vault so it takes effect on all devices from that point forward?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Basically if you change the master password on one device it does not immediately transfer to other devices.

You have to use the old password once on the other machine (so that it can sync and so receive the new password). Then you can use the old password if you want (but why would you want to) or the new one. And once you have used the new password the old one can't be used any more.

Hope that's clear. It's logical if you think hard enough.

• Hi @toaderma! I'm sorry about that. It sounds like your Master Password may be different in your synced data. How are you syncing 1Password, and what version of the app are you using? Also, what kind of devices do you have and what version of their operating system is installed? Learn how to find versions of things. That'll give us a better idea of what is happening.

• toaderma
    toaderma
    Community Member

@danco Thanks for the suggestions, I assumed that is how it worked but after I found that the master password didn't sync I figured I would ask before moving forward. I would hate to have 3 different master passwords floating around not exactly exactly which one sync'd. I will try updating my master password but this time from my mac (I believe I did it on my iPhone last time).

@Jacob I use 1Password on OS X and iOS syncing to iCloud.

• @toaderma,

It sounds like you're on the right path now.

Let us know if you need any additional help or find that its still not syncing.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.