To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

The video instructions didn't work so I used export/import

Options
mikobr
mikobr
Community Member

I have been using ver 4.6 and just got ver 6 so I can use the web based product. The animated video instructions didn't seem to work for me (I really had no idea where my opvault or agilebits files were located) so I migrated the data by just using 4.6 to export the data to a 1pif file. I then imported that file into my personal file on ver 6.1. Is that okay? Is there a better way to do this before I get rid of ver 4?

I see the instructions about uninstalling old version 4.6, but I am reluctant to this that until I am sure this is all working correctly. Probably because ver 4 is still on my PC (windows), when I attempted to install the Chrome extension, the little icon at the top right of my screen still opens ver 4, not ver 6. If I take the leap and uninstall ver 4 from my desktop, how do I eliminate the ver 4 extension icon in Chrome and install one that opens ver 6? I of course have backups of the ver 4 data, but I don't know how I could access that once I uninstall ver 4.

I also use my new iPhone 7 (an impetus for upgrading to ver 6), and 1Password seems to be working. Is there a 1Password extension I should be using for the Safari browser in the iPhone? Also, where in the iPhone 1Password app do I find what version of the app is installed?

1Password Version: 6.1 and 4.6
Extension Version: 4.6?
OS Version: Win 7 and iOS 10.1.1
Sync Type: ?
Referrer: forum-search:Migrating data

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mikobr: Using a 1PIF to export data into 1Password 6 is fine. The app is still relatively new, so it wasn't long ago that this was the recommended procedure. It's less complicated reading the existing vaults, but it sounds like you were able to navigate the extra steps just fine. The only thing I will add is to make sure that you delete the 1PIF securely, as this is not encrypted.

If you open 1Password 4 an select Backup > Backup 1Password Vault, it will give you the option to open the backup folder afterward.

It would be best to remove 1Password 4 to avoid conflict though. You can always reinstall it later if you want to. But if you're using the 1Password.com subscription service, this requires 1Password 6. Bother versions, however, use the same browser extensions, so there's no need to make a change there.

You can find the version in 1Password for iOS by going to Settings and scrolling down. And you can follow this guide to enable the 1Password iOS extension and use it in Safari:

Use the 1Password extension to (iOS)

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.