Better handling of SSH keys

Options
sifutommy
sifutommy
Community Member

I recently decided to store my SSH keys in 1Password. Since there is no dedicated SSH key type (hint hint) I stored them as documents. Then I discovered is that retrieving them is difficult because they won't open. It says "Click to download and view", but when you click it, it downloads to some unknown place (where is this btw?) but doesn't open. I think this is likely because files like id_rsa and id_rsa.pub have no applications registered to handle them, but 1PW doesn't seem to fall back to anything. Can we get some improvements here?

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• bezhermoso
    bezhermoso
    Community Member
    Options

I am also storing my SSH keys in 1 Password and your post got me worried. However I was able to retrieve the file:

1. Click "Click to view". This downloads the file to somewhere in your local machine and then decrypts it.
    2. Hover over the new, larger thumbnail (a blank white paper) until the Quick Look overlay comes up.
    3. Click on the dropdown menu in the Quick Look control and select Show in Finder. Voila!

However I noticed that the Quick Look overlay does not appear consistently, it's kinda glitchy.

I hope this helps you.

• sifutommy
    sifutommy
    Community Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

You know what? You're right. Today I see a menu that allows me to view it in Finder or open it with any of several applications. But yes, it must indeed be glitchy because this was most certainly not working the other day when I added them. I still think a dedicated SSH key item type that stored both public and private keys in one item would be nice.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sifutommy,

I'm not sure why that wasn't working for you the other day, but very happy to hear those menu items are now appearing/working for you! I'm glad bezhermoso's suggestion was helpful.

Thank you for the feedback & suggestion about adding an item category for SSH key items. Although I can't make promises about if/when we might add something like that, I can forward your request to our developers to let them know you'd be interested. Hopefully we'll be able to make improvements in that area in a future version.

Aside from that, I hope you've been enjoying 1Password. If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know. Cheers! :)

• kiero
    kiero
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

I would also like to file a feature request for handling SSH pair keys in 1Password (new type of category). I found that there is a lot of request for this feature:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/38940/feature-request-ssl-ssh-key-managment
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/52285/store-ssh-keys-in-1password

What is the state of this? Are you guys planing to add this in the very next future? ;)

PS. Support for Recovery Codes type (for 2 factor authentication would be great as well).

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kiero,

Thanks for contacting us with your request! I don't know if this is something that our developers are planning to add, and if they were, I wouldn't have any timeframe for when to expect it. But I can certainly let them know this is something you'd like to see added to 1Password.

If you need anything else, we're here for you! :)

• devibimal
    devibimal
    Community Member
    Options

+1 to get this added.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know you're also interested! I'll make sure to pass that along to our developers. :)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

While I would love to have better SSH handling on the Mac as well I was pleasantly surprised today by the current (Document) implementation on iOS.

I had (purposely) removed all settings in Termius (an SSH client for iOS) and after downloading the private/public key combo I had already stored as a (*.ppk) document in 1Password, I could use the Share button in 1Password for iOS to copy the keys to Termius which then properly configured both the private and public key. Pretty neat and effortless!

(and if you have the Termius €5,99/year Premium subscription this will even sync to your Mac)

• rudy
    Options

@XIII,

That's definitely a good bit of information to know.

Rudy

• Kellerstein
    Kellerstein
    Community Member
    Options

Would love to see this as well.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know, we appreciate the feedback! :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@Kellerstein @devibimal @kiero @sifutommy @XIII ,

If I can create an SSH key converter for the converter suite, would that be useful, and if so, who will be willing to test? No promises yet, until I've had a chance to look at it.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC What kind of conversion are you thinking of? Isn't the end result limited to what 1Password (currently) offers?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 2017
    Options

@XIII

Sorry for the delay in responding - I've been both sick and was awaiting a reply from Agilebits on a question I had.

I can think of two ways to deal with this:

1. Include the keys as separate attachments in an import 1PIF.
    2. Encode the attachments as a shell self-extracting archive, included in the notes section of an item.

It doesn't appear any of the other posters in the thread have much interest. Do either of these alternatives sound appealing to you?

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

@MrC I'm probably not the best one to ask, as I have only a few SSH keys and those are now already available in 1Password.com (as Documents; I would prefer a dedicated category - but that's up to AgileBits).

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@XIII,

No problem - I'm willing to work on the code, but since its not a simple addition, I need someone with skin in the game to work with me.

I wouldn't hold my breath for new categories. Users have been clamoring for new or custom categories for many years, and there is no movement. So workarounds are all you'll get.

• sflomenb
    sflomenb
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for this feature. Would be very useful.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for taking the time to let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

• manelinho
    manelinho
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

+1 for ssh key support

Or even further and support all kinds of keys, ssh, pgp, etc ...

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know you're also interested in that! :)

• kajsa_a
    kajsa_a
    Community Member
    Options

+1 each for SSH key category and 2-factor recovery key category - I came here today to make the same feature request.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2017
    Options

Thanks, @kajsa_a. For the MFA recovery keys.... I typically store them in a custom field on the login item for the site/service in question. :)

Ben

• lightheaded
    lightheaded
    Community Member
    Options

+1 to the feature. I have had several problems with my computer accompanied with losing all my data and storing the keys anywhere outside 1Password doesn't seem to cut it. Would be really nice to see 1Password play well with the SSH keys.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for chiming in, @lightheaded -- though we're not a true democracy around here in the sense that if enough people vote for an issue, it "wins," we definitely do take account of all user feedback and requests, so we'll add yours to the chorus of voices wanting a real SSH client within 1Password. Thanks for making your wishes known!

• tulbox
    tulbox
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @tulbox -- appreciate you stopping by and adding your voice. :)

• ruimelo
    ruimelo
    Community Member
    Options

+1 ssh key support

Needing this right know to safely store my keys

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know you'd like another way to store SSH keys in 1Password. But, as mentioned previously, you can already do this with Secure Notes and Documents/attachments. I use both, since using text or a file is useful depending on the context. Cheers! :)

• jamesdh
    jamesdh
    Community Member
    Options

This is an inadequate solution at least when attempting to use SSH keys on iOS. I'm unable to copy a complete key into Prompts either via attachment or as a note.

We really need 1st class support for keys and not workarounds/hacks. LastPass has it (albeit with some pain points). This appears to be one of the very few areas they actually surpass 1Password.

• jamesdh
    jamesdh
    Community Member
    Options

I literally had to copy the key from 1Password on OSX, paste it into my Notes app, open the Notes app on my iPad, and only then could I get it correctly pasted into any application. I couldn't find any solution that actually worked using 1Password on iOS.

This discussion has been closed.