Possible to recover data from older incompatible version?

jinglesthula
jinglesthula
Community Member
edited December 2016 in Mac

I obtained a copy of 1P via MacHeist II back in 2007. I'm not even sure what version it was (edit - finder says v. 2.9.7).

Today I finally got around to upgrading to macOS Sierra and was informed that 1P was incompatible and had been moved to the incompatible software folder. Sad trombone.

Before I go putting down coin for the latest version I need to know whether it will be possible to recover the data from that older version of the app.

Has anyone run into anything similar? Is there any updates to that vintage version that brings it up to speed enough to run under Sierra?

Comments

• @jinglesthula,

That's quite the jump in versions. I had to consult the historian in order to figure out what the answer here is.

Luckily the version you were running was the first version to introduce the agilekeychain file as the default format. I would check in your ~/Library/Application Support/ directory for 1Password and see if you have an agilekeychain file.

If you do then, as long as you remember what your master password was, you should be able to import that agilekeychain into 1Password 6.

If you don't have an agilekeychain, you might try running that incompatible version long enough to get to the preferences window's keychain settings to toggle it to use the agilekeychain instead of the system keychain. At this point you should have an agilekeychain file that you can use with 1Password 6.

Let us know how it goes and if you need any additional help.

Rudy

• jinglesthula
    jinglesthula
    Community Member

Thanks so much. I will give it a go.

Yes - a long time to run that version. A testament to how great a product 1P is even in the earlier versions. Thanks for making such a great product. :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Rudy, you're very welcome! I'm really glad to hear 1Password has been so useful for you - we want our customers to enjoy using it as much as we love making & supporting it! :)

By the way, if you have an .agilekeychain file from 1Password 2, it will be easy to get the data from there into 1Password 6. The first time you open the 1Password 6 app, you'll want to choose Find your data > Pick a different location > On my Mac > Choose File. Then you'll be able to select the .agilekeychain file, and it will ask you for the master password to unlock it.

Hopefully it all goes well, but we're here for you if you need more help with that! :)

This discussion has been closed.