Did a fresh install of Sierra, downloaded 1Password 6 to reinstall, having problems.

orin
orin
Community Member

I just did a fresh install of the OS on my Mac. I was running 1Password 6 previously and have a license. I downloaded 1Password 6 from the Agile-Bits website. After opening the download it asks to "Sign In" or "Find Your Data". I don't think I have a sign in, so I am trying to find my data.

It offers to use my vault from iCloud. Strangely it says "iCloud (from 1Password 4)" although I've been using 6 for quite a long time now. When I click to "Use Selected Data" it takes me to the master password screen to log in. When I enter my master password it shakes and does not open the vault.

I have never changed my master password since I first bought 1Password 4 in 2013. When it shows me the hint it is the same as the one I originally wrote for the only master password I've ever used. My master password still works when signing in on my phone. I have tried typing it a dozen times now and checked things like cap locks, etc. Still doesn't work.

What's going on?

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @orin,

In 1Password 4, there was a different method used for iCloud syncing. That is probably a very old copy of your data left on your computer, with an old master password, from back when you used 1Password 4.

What I suggest is doing this:
    1. At the lock screen, go to Help and choose "Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data" - this will start over.
    2. When you relaunch 1Password, choose "Find My Data Elsewhere" and choose the option for regular iCloud from the "Pick a different location" popup menu underneath the list. Do not choose iCloud (1Password 4) from the list. It will ask you to log into your iCloud account, and then ask for your Master Password.

After that, it should download your current data and your Master Password should work.

Regards,
    Kevin

• orin
    orin
    Community Member

Hey @ag_kevin,

Your suggestions worked out for me. Had a little glitch at first where the program was unexpectedly closing after I clicked to "Reset all 1Password Data" but it did work after a few tries.

It's strange to me that the old 1Password sync from version 4 is still on my iCloud account. Should I try and remove that file?

Glad we got it working, thank you very much for the help.

Orin

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Kevin, you're most welcome! I'm not sure why you had some trouble resetting 1Password on your Mac, but glad it eventually worked and that you were able to correctly sync your data.

It's strange to me that the old 1Password sync from version 4 is still on my iCloud account. Should I try and remove that file?

1Password sync data was stored in a different part of iCloud back in version 4. Although that old sync data is no longer used, it wasn't automatically removed (for various reasons). It won't do any harm though, so there's no need to remove it.

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. We're always happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.