Should have worn the brown pants

AUSFestivus
AUSFestivus
Community Member

Morning,

As if a Monday morning wasnt bad enough, 1password on my Mac decided to reject my master password this morning.
I closed the 1password application on the Mac on Sunday evening.
I started the application again this morning when I got to work, attempted to login to 1password, entered the wrong password which then seemed to freeze the login screen, the login animation never completed.
I left it alone for a few moments and then quit the 1password app. After the app restart it started rejecting my master password.

I quit the app again, force quit the helper app.
Restarted the app again. Master password was then accepted.

This type of behaviour from a trusted application with a reputation for excellence is entirely unacceptable on a Monday morning.
Just sayin.

Someone want to have a go at telling me what on earth happened here?

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @AUSFestivus ,

I'm sorry for the scare there. But if I explain things, I think it'll put your mind at ease. At no point was your data in any danger of being encrypted with another password or corrupted.

There are two things to note:

1. 1Password actually consists of two app. The main app, and 1Password mini, that is contained within the main app. 1Password mini is what shows the icon in the menu bar and allow 1Password to work even after you quit the app. 1Password mini is a bit of a misnomer - it actually does all of the work in reading and storing your 1Password data. The main app communicates with 1Password mini to get the data it needs to display.
    2. When you type the wrong password, 1Password will check your sync file to see if the password you entered works on the sync file. This could be iCloud, Dropbox, or a 1Password account. It checks the network because you may have changed your Master Password on another device. When the Internet is being fussy, or your connection is slow, this could cause delays.

Now, knowing that, this is what probably happened:

1. You started the main 1Password app and entered the wrong password.
    2. 1Password mini then noted it was wrong, and tried to check against whichever sync method you use.
    3. The main app is waiting for 1Password mini to check. When you have a good Internet connection, this usually takes less than a second. But for whatever reason, it was taking a long time.
    4. You then quit the main app and tried again. Because 1Password mini was still checking, when you entered the correct one this time, it was rejected.
    5. When you force quit 1Password mini (the helper app), it stopped checking your sync method, and thus was able to check the password you were typing.

Note that at no time was your data being altered. Incidents like this are usually very rare. But we can certainly look into situations like this to improve the experience.

I hope I've explained it well. If you have any questions, feel free to reply.

Regards,
    Kevin

ref: OPM-4629

• AUSFestivus
    AUSFestivus
    Community Member

Hey Kevin,

Excellent and thorough explanation, thank you.
    Item 3 is the winner here. The internet connection at my current workplace is very poor.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @AUSFestivus

On behalf of Kevin, you're very welcome. I hope everything goes nice and smooth for you from now on, and thank you very much for your patience and for checking in with us about this. If you ever need help with anything else relate to 1Password, we're always here for you! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.