how to restore 1password6 for a family license user

lkobzik
lkobzik
Community Member

My wife's computer had to be erased for another issue. I am trying to restore her 1pw6 program but cannot figure out how to tell it the license number, that option does not seem to exist any more. Other discussions on this topic imply that entering a license is an option when one clicks the bottom blue text on the 'enter account info' page but this leads to a dead end for me.6

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: os sierra 10.12.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lkobzik,

I'm sorry you're having trouble activating the 1Password app with your license! We can definitely help you out with that.

In versions 4, 5, and 6, 1Password for Mac uses a license file for activation, instead of a license number. (If you have a license number, it's likely for 1Password 2 or 3 for Mac, or possibly 1Password for Windows). Alternately, if you happen to have a 1Password.com account, that will activate 1Password 6 for Mac. We have more information here: If you see “Trial Expired” in 1Password

I searched our system for the email address from your forum account and found a license for you for 1Password 6 for Mac (that was a free upgrade from the 1Password 4 for Mac license you purchased a few years ago). I've resent your license info to you in an email. Just open that email on the Mac where you need to activate the app, and click the link that says “Click here to Apply Your 1Password License“ (it will be under the 1Password 6 for Mac license info).

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have any trouble with that, or if you have more questions. We're here for you! :)

• lkobzik
    lkobzik
    Community Member

Thanks, this worked. The key was to realize that I had to forward the email with my license info to my wife's computer and then proceed as you say. Onto the next challenge!.... trying to sync from her iPad (has all her info) to blank slate 1Password on her Mac...

• lkobzik
    lkobzik
    Community Member

After a clean wipe of her computer, I downloaded 1PW6 and then learned through another forum Q&A to restore the license for this from my family plan of licenses. All good as in previous error messages or request to sign in have ceased, but the preferences show her account as "Trial Mode-Subscribe Now" and no sync button is visible as a choice. I suspect I am missing a step in finalizing the restoration of her program as a full licensed user. Any advice welcome...

1Password Version: 6.5.2
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: 10.12.1
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lkobzik,

I'm glad you were able to apply the license!

As far as syncing her 1Password data from her iPad to her Mac, there should be a few options. Is she currently using any of the sync options in 1Password on her iPad? You can check the sync settings by opening 1Password on her iPad and going to Settings > Sync > Primary. If she's not currently syncing, it will show an option for 'Start Syncing'. Or if one of the sync options is currently enabled, it will show 'Sync Service' as well as which sync option is currently being used.

Can you please let us know if/how the sync settings are currently set up in 1Password on her iPad?

• lkobzik
    lkobzik
    Community Member

Actually there is a problem as I described in a new post just a few minutes ago: here it is below. Her iPad syncs just fine to the iCloud account, but I need to figure out how to get that into the newly restored laptop...here is the other post FYI: "After a clean wipe of her computer, I downloaded 1PW6 and then learned through another forum Q&A to restore the license for this from my family plan of licenses. All good as in previous error messages or request to sign in have ceased, but the preferences show her account as "Trial Mode-Subscribe Now" and no sync button is visible as a choice. I suspect I am missing a step in finalizing the restoration of her program as a full licensed user. Any advice welcome..."

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lkobzik,

I found the other thread you opened, and I merged it with this existing one to avoid confusion.

When you launch the main 1Password app on your wife's Mac, do you see the setup screen that has options for "Sign in" and "Find your data"? Or do you see the main app window that asks to unlock with a master password (or if unlocked, shows vault data with a 'Search' field at the top and item categories in the left sidebar)? If you see the setup screen, she should be able to choose "Find your data" and choose to sync with her data in iCloud.

On the other hand, if you see the main app window (lock screen or vault data), then from your description, it sounds as if you or your wife may have signed up for a 1Password.com account, then signed into that account when setting up the 1Password app on her Mac. An 'account' is a subscription service which we started offering this year. That's a new way to purchase/use 1Password and is different from a license. We have some more information about that here: The difference between a 1Password.com account and standalone license

If you or your wife set up 1Password by signing into a 1Password.com account, you won't see the Sync options in Preferences because accounts are automatically synced through our own servers and don't need any other sync configuration. To tell for sure, go to 1Password > Preferences and select the Accounts tab. If you see an account listed on the left side, that's why there's some confusion. But don't worry, we can help you get this all straightened out! We just need to know for sure how things are currently set up on her Mac. Thanks! :)

• lkobzik
    lkobzik
    Community Member

Drew: thank you. When 1PW opens on my wife's Mac, there is a lock screen with an adjacent space into which the main password has to be entered. And the description of her account in Preferences as a Trial Mode is still there with no sync button.. Please advise, thanks

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @lkobzik! So, what happened is that you or your wife signed up for a 1Password.com account, and signed into that account when setting up the 1Password app on her Mac. Therefore the app is in "accounts-only mode" and doesn't show options that only apply to local vaults (like the Sync settings). What you'll need to do is create a new local 'Primary' vault, and then you'll be able to sync that vault with iCloud. To do that:

• Open & unlock the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > Preferences.
    • Select the Advanced tab.
    • Enable the option for "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts".
    • Enter the master password for the 1Password account and click Create Primary Vault.

That will create a Primary vault which is separate from the account. You should now be able to go to Preferences > Sync and enable iCloud for the Primary vault. After enabling sync with iCloud, her data should now be in the Primary vault.

And the description of her account in Preferences as a Trial Mode is still there with no sync button.

That message about being in trial mode is referring specifically to the 1Password.com account, and not the 1Password app. As long as you applied your license file, the 1Password app is activated and is no longer in trial mode. You can confirm that by going to 1Password > License from the menubar.

As for the 1Password.com account (which is listed in 1Password > Preferences > Accounts), that will eventually expire unless a credit card is added to the billing page of that account on 1Password.com. But that won't affect the local Primary vault (which is separate from the account). Did you or your wife mean to sign up for that account? If not, we can help you remove it from the 1Password app. Or if you'd like to start using that account, we can explain how to migrate data there from the local Primary vault.

Or if that all seems a bit confusing at this point, don't worry - let's just make sure your wife is able to create the Primary vault and sync her data to it from iCloud, and we'll continue from there. :)

• lkobzik
    lkobzik
    Community Member

that did the job! thanks

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Excellent, I'm happy to hear it! :) Thanks for letting us know that helped. If you have any other questions about that or need more help with 1Password, you know where to find us. ;) Have a great weekend!

This discussion has been closed.