Transfering all passwords to a new provider

amandabryant
amandabryant
Community Member

I am a 1Password user that acquired the service prior to 2.16 and the implementation of 1Password.com Account. I am a Stand Alone License. I did not use an email address or Key Code to register my Stand Alone License. How do I go about signing onto my 1Password Stand Alone License on a computer so I can transfer my passwords to another provider?

Thank you.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @amandabryant,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help with 1Password! I'm sure we can help you get things sorted out.

I am a 1Password user that acquired the service prior to 2.16 and the implementation of 1Password.com Account.

It sounds like you purchased a license for the standalone 1Password app. Was it specifically for the Mac version of 1Password? Just to be clear, although we now offer the option of subscribing to a 1Password.com account, we still sell (and support) standalone licenses for those who don't want to sign up for an account.

I am a Stand Alone License. I did not use an email address or Key Code to register my Stand Alone License.

Are you having trouble setting up 1Password on a new Mac because you're being asked to enter information such as a Sign-In address and Account Key? If so, it sounds like you chose the "Sign in" option on the first screen of the setup process. That option is for signing into a 1Password.com account. If you don't have an account and were using 1Password on another device, you'll want to choose the "Find your data" option (right below the "Sign in" option).

Assuming you have existing 1Password data on another device, there are several different options to migrate it to the Mac you're using now (for example, syncing it via Dropbox or iCloud, or copying a backup file from the other device). We explain those options here: How to move your 1Password data to a new computer or device

How do I go about signing onto my 1Password Stand Alone License on a computer...

Are you trying to apply your license to the 1Password app on your Mac? A 1Password license is separate from your 1Password data - a license is just used to activate the app so it's no longer in trial mode. If you have a license for the AgileBits Store version of 1Password 4/5/6 for Mac, you can use it to activate the app by following the steps here: If you see “Trial Expired” in 1Password (That page explains how to apply your license even if you aren't seeing a "Trial Expired" message.)

...so I can transfer my passwords to another provider?

Do you mean you're trying to switch to another password manager? If so, once you have your data in 1Password on your Mac, you can export it by following the steps here: How to export data from 1Password

However, if you're having any trouble with 1Password, we'd love the opportunity to help you with that! If you're at all dissatisfied with 1Password, please let us know, as there might be something we can do to help.

Thanks, and looking forward to hearing back from you! :)

• amandabryant
    amandabryant
    Community Member

Hello Drew,

I don't appear to be successfully syncing all of my information into DropBox. Additionally, I don't see the "find your data" under "sign in" on 1Password.com.

Thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@amandabryant: If you're using a 1Password.com Account for the subscription service, there is no need to "find your data"; you simply login to your account to access it. But since you're using Dropbox and you've mentioned a license, it sounds like you may be trying to login with a 1Password Account, but you will only have one if you subscribe to 1Password Families (or Teams), or signed up for an individual subscription plan. That’s also the only way you’ll have an Account Key or Sign In URL. Instead, if you choose "Use without an account" you can sync your data from another device. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.