I've owned 1Password for several years now, but I've never really used it and now I can't sign in

mzreid
mzreid
Community Member

When I first got it, I did the initial parts of getting it started... at present, the only thing I think that involved was setting my master password. I know I didn't store any other passwords, credit card #'s, etc. Then I got interrupted and didn't get back to it for several weeks. At that time, I tried to sign in and continue setting it up. It wouldn't take my master password, and I'm absolutely certain (isn't everybody in these situations) that I had it correct. Now and then in the interim, I have tried again... I've uninstalled and re-installed... I've been told my program was corrupted and I'd have to reinstall.. so I did that again. What it all boils down to is that I still can't get in, so I've never used it. I know your security on our being able to get our master password or fix things by the methods I've tried is for our own goods. But this is quite frustrating. 1Password at the time isn't protecting a thing for me... I guess you could say it's only protecting the program FROM me. Can you help me?

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: 10.12.1
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:1password won't recognize my password to sign in

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@mzreid on the basis you have nothing in 1Password you need to keep you may find this knowledge base article helpful:

How to erase your 1Password data and start over

Stephen

• mzreid
    mzreid
    Community Member

Thank you so much! I think I'm on the track of getting it up and going now. I've "erased" as per the instructions and then restarted the program. When I opened 1Password after that, it gives me the "New to 1Password" window so I can start again. I'm going to do that very soon when I know I'm not going to get interrupted like last time and I can really get it set up to be used. Again, thank you so much... after having the program for years, I'm now going to be able to use it (I'll also update it so I have what I need that way too).

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mzreid

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble that you had with 1Password. It sounds like the article that Stephen recommended is going to do the trick, that's great news! I just want to comment to make it all easier for you that if you've had 1Password for over a year then you will not have an account. Accounts are different from licenses, and have only been around for a bit less than a year. You'll have to pick the option to create a new vault.

Please let us know how all this goes and if there's anything else that we can do for you :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.