Sync doesn't remove deleted entries?

syncy
syncy
Community Member

I have 1Password on both my Mac Pro and my Macbook Pro. I'd added some new passwords on my Mac Pro, so it was time to sync. So I copied the .agilekeychain file over. (It's annoying that there still isn't a good option for Mac-to-Mac sync, but whatever.)

On my laptop, I noticed that there are some doubled entries. For example, a software license I have for "1.0.1", but which I'd updated to say "1.0.2" on my desktop, now appears as two entries on my laptop, for "1.0.2" and "1.0.1".

The "Sync your 1Password data" page (and the "How to keep a copy of a local vault updated in a folder on your Mac" page) is notably silent on what it does, or how it works. All it says is that, given access to another .agilekeychain file, "1Password will automatically keep it up to date".

Is 1Password folder "sync" just taking entries and doing an INSERT with them? I assumed that each entry had a UUID or something like that associated with it, so it could update. I'm confused about how sync works now.

1Password Version: 5.4.2
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: folder
Referrer: forum-search:sync doesn't delete

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @syncy,

I'm sorry you ended up with some duplicate items! It sounds like something isn't working correctly, and we'll help you figure this out one way or another.

Can you please let us know more about your sync setup in 1Password on your Macs? It sounds like you use the Folder sync option. In your sync settings, what location is being used for the sync file? To check that, open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences in the menubar, then choose the Sync tab. Assuming the 'Folder' option is selected, what is the exact file name and file path shown there? Please check that setting on both Macs.

Next, how exactly are you syncing the .agilekeychain file between your two Macs? Normally, Folder sync is used in combination with another sync service or file copy tool, or it points to a location on a USB drive. So for example, do you use another cloud sync service to sync the .agilekeychain between your Macs? Or possibly a file copy tool with a network drive? Or do you have the .agilekeychain on a USB drive that you connect to each Mac when you want 1Password to sync? If you're doing something else, please let us know the exact steps you take.

Once we understand more about your sync setup and any additional steps you're taking to sync your vault between your Macs, we should have a better idea about what happened and how to answer some of your questions. In the meantime, to address a couple things you mentioned:

It's annoying that there still isn't a good option for Mac-to-Mac sync

Folder sync isn't usually the best way to sync 1Password between multiple Macs and/or other devices. Have you tried any of the other options? The best & easiest way to sync your 1Password data is with a 1Password.com account. If you don't want to sign up for an account, Dropbox and iCloud would be your best options. We explain the different 1Password sync options here: Sync your 1Password data

I assumed that each entry had a UUID or something like that associated with it, so it could update.

Indeed, each item in a 1Password vault has its own UUID, and that's how it knows which items on one Mac are supposed to sync with the corresponding items on your other Mac. Hopefully, your answers to my above questions will help us determine why that didn't work as expected.

Thanks, and looking forward to hearing back from you! :)

This discussion has been closed.