Can 1Password autofill in the inbuilt OSX VPN authentication dialog?

vintagedave
vintagedave
Community Member

I have a VPN I connect to, set up using macOS's inbuilt VPN support in the Network preferences pane. In the settings there, my name is preconfigured, but when connecting I need to enter a password manually each time, so a password dialog appears.

1Password doesn't seem to recognise this, and so I have to open the menu bar item, find the password entry, expand it, click Copy, and paste into the password dialog. This is less than ideal ;) Is there a trick to get 1Password to recognise the system VPN password dialog, or if you, can you add it as a feature request please?

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: 4.6.2.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @vintagedave,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. I wish I had a better answer for you but unfortunately as things stand it isn't possible for 1Password to fill into such prompts. Apple does not expose an API to interact with these prompts.

If the landscape were to change, such as having an API become available, we'd certainly look into supporting that.

In the short term I believe you've already got the shortest path.

Thanks.

Ben

• vintagedave
    vintagedave
    Community Member

Hi @Ben - thanks for the reply. Have you filed a Radar / feature request with Apple?

Is there anything you can do to trim down the required steps? For example, while there may not be an API to fill in the prompt, 1Password might be able to recognise the prompt via its name/process/other info and show the login entry in the menu bar menu the same way it does when you're on a webpage it recognises. I'd still have to copy/paste, but it would be a shorter process.

• vintagedave
    vintagedave
    Community Member

Also - I'm slightly bothered by copying passwords, it's not very secure. Does 1Password have any recognition a password was copied to the clipboard, and clear it after a short time or after it's been pasted once? Some other password managers do that.

• vintagedave
    vintagedave
    Community Member

and show the login entry in the menu bar menu the same way it does when you're on a webpage it recognises. I'd still have to copy/paste, but it would be a shorter process.

In fact it could even have a Copy button on the menu if it recognises that's going to be necessary.

• ag_TJLuoma
    ag_TJLuoma
    1Password Alumni

Hi @vintagedave

You can find the option to clear passwords from the clipboard here: (Mac version shown)

• vintagedave
    vintagedave
    Community Member

Thanks @TJLuoma .

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of TJ, you're very welcome! Please let us know if you need anything else. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.