Mini 1Password and Web Browser not working.....

soneaf
soneaf
Community Member

I can not seem to open 1Password Mini or use it in the web browser with out getting the spinning wheel of death. When I try to open the program it tries to open the mini and crashes so bad I have to restart the computer. I have force quit the mini from the Activity Monitor many times now. 1Password is becoming useless on my laptop. I have MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016) running 10.12.1. I am up on version 6.5.2 for 1Password. Any help would be great .

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: 10.12.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@soneaf it would probably be helpful if you'd let us know what browser you are using.

Stephen

• soneaf
    soneaf
    Community Member

Safari is the browser of choice but it is also happening in Firefox and Chrome.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @soneaf,

I'm sorry you're having this problem with 1Password!

If I understand, it sounds like 1Password is running into trouble when you try to use the browser extension from any browser, or when you try to open the main 1Password app. In that case, can you please try this to see if it helps:

• Go to the Applications folder on your Mac and drag the 1Password app file to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning tools, as they might also delete your data instead of just the app).
    • Empty the Trash.
    • Reboot your Mac.
    • Once it restarts, download a fresh copy of 1Password: If you were using the Mac App Store version, launch the Mac App Store and reinstall it from the Purchased tab. If you were using the AgileBits Store version, get a new copy from our download site and install it.
    • Once it is reinstalled, go to the Applications folder and double-click the 1Password app file.

Does that make any difference, or do you still have the same problem?

• soneaf
    soneaf
    Community Member

That seem to fix it ! thanks ... Hoping it stays this way.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's great news, I'm glad that seems to have solved it! I hope it stays that way too, but if for some reason the problem comes back again, please be sure to let us know - we're always happy to help. Have a great weekend! :)

• soneaf
    soneaf
    Community Member

Well... Guess what has retuned. I believe I found the issue as well. After I did what you asked me to do, all was working fine. I left the Touch ID optioned off for a few days and just turned it back on. The same issue has no retuned. I get the ball of death and can not do anything. I will be deleting the app and reinstalling it and will leave touch ID for 1Password tuned off. I really hope this gets fixed. Thanks

• soneaf
    soneaf
    Community Member

Sweet, I repeated the steps you gave me before and now it is not working again. As I tried to relaunch 1Password it keeps trying to connect to the mini app and it crashes. Can I disable the Miniapp some how just so I can at least use the app??

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @soneaf,

I'm sorry the problem returned - but glad you were able to narrow down the cause! That will help us figure this out.

Do you currently have the Touch ID option in 1Password turned on or off? (From your latest post, I'm not sure if that still seems to be the problem or not.)

As I tried to relaunch 1Password it keeps trying to connect to the mini app and it crashes.

Does it crash, or does it just result in an error message? If you get an error, what exactly does it say?

Can I disable the Miniapp some how just so I can at least use the app??

No, mini is actually the "brains" behind 1Password. The main 1Password app won't work if it isn't able to connect to mini. But the fact that you're seeing 1Password try (and fail) to connect to mini helps narrow down the cause of this problem.

If you have Touch ID on your Mac, it sounds like you're using a new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar. Do you happen to be using a VPN client? If so, which one? We've heard of some VPN clients causing a problem similar to this one. If you're using a VPN client, and if you disable it, does 1Password work?

• soneaf
    soneaf
    Community Member

I have disabled the Mini and was using just the app. All seemed fine. I also disable the Safari extension. I left it alone for a couple of days. I went and turned back on the Mini app and it was working great for about a half day and now I am right back where I started. Whenever I try and use the Mini app I get the death wheel. I can not do anything but force quit the Mini app in the Activity Monitor. Not really sure what to do at this point.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @soneaf,

I have disabled the Mini and was using just the app.

It sounds like you disabled the option for "Always keep 1Password mini running" in 1Password > Preferences > General? If so, you must have been able to successfully launch the app in order to change that setting, but you had said you couldn't open the 1Password app because of the error message saying it failed to connect to mini. Does that error only happen sometimes, or did you need to take other steps in order to open the main app?

Also, the option to "Always keep 1Password mini running" only applies to when the main 1Password app is closed. When you launch the main 1Password app, it also launches 1Password mini if it isn't already running (otherwise the main app won't work at all). Mini also needs to be running in order for the 1Password browser extension to work.

Whenever I try and use the Mini app I get the death wheel.

At this point, to help us figure out what's going wrong, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and make sure you receive a reply as quickly as possible. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance! :)

This discussion has been closed.