1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini

bonski
bonski
Community Member

When starting 1Password, it tries to connect to 1Password Mini, but fails with the error message:

1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini
Please restart 1Password. If this does not help, please contact AgileBits support.

I have restarted the application but it still fails. After restarting the computer it works for a while but after a while, but then the same error occurs. I have also tried to reset extended attributes as described here: https://support.1password.com/error-connect-to-mini/ but have to run the command with sudo. I have downloaded the application from your site, and not the App Store. The version is 6, but I'm not able to get the exact version at the moment because I can't access the menu because the application is not responding.

I using the lastest MBP 13" with touch bar

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.12.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bonski

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble that you're having with 1Password and the communication with 1Password mini. Could you please try the next thing for me and see if it helps? Please go to your Applications folder and drag 1Password to the trash. Empty the trash and restart your computer. Then go to https://1password.com/downloads/ and install 1Password again. It will pick up your data automatically.

Please let us know if after doing this 1Password gets back on its feet or if we need to dig a bit deeper :chuffed:

• systderr
    systderr
    Community Member

Hi,

i have the exact same problem @bonski has. If i don't restart, i cannot use 1password mini anymore.

I have the latest Macbook Pro 15" with touch bar. So i guess it has something to do with touchID?
    Any help much appreciated.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@systderr: Probably not. It's more likely that you have some extra copies of 1Password lying around, and macOS is launching the wrong mini. Please do a Spotlight search and drag all copies of 1Password to the Trash, restart your Mac, and then install a fresh copy. Let me know how it turns out!

• bonski
    bonski
    Community Member

I have done as suggested, and so far it seems to work. Thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's great news! I'm glad it seems to be working correctly for you now. But if the problem starts happening again or you need anything else, please let us know - we're always happy to help. :)

• bonski
    bonski
    Community Member

Eh... The mini still beachballs and finally tells me to restart 1Password. I downloaded the "troubleshooting utility" and performed the repair tasks it provides. It seemed to work, but now it doesn't anymore. When I select to use 1Password to provide me with password for a site, nothing happens for several minutes. Long after I have given up to get a response, the password dialogue pops up, and beachballs.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bonski: Yeah, that's definitely not normal. Either the app is damaged or something else is going on your machine to hang it up. I think at this point, the best thing to do will be to restart your device, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports

Please send it to support+forums@agilebits.com with a link to this discussion and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. Also, knowing your timezone and the date/time of the incident will help us find it in the logs. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• bonski
    bonski
    Community Member

Done!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bonski

We have received the Diagnostics Report, thank you for sending it! Someone will be in touch with you over email soon, we'll continue the conversation over email. Have a great day! :chuffed:

ref: ILF-14141-226

• systderr
    systderr
    Community Member

@brenty I have done what you suggested but i just got the beachball from clicking 1password mini again. It did not fix the issue.

Btw I only had one copy of 1password on my computer.

• nicholsr
    nicholsr
    Community Member

1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini. I have followed the instructions from Pilar dated 12/9. Checking applications there is ONLY one 1Password 6. Previously I used the troubleshooting area to solved the issue; it worked for a couple of days then it refused to connect. 1Password will play nice on my MACBook Pro, my iPad, and my iPhone. But 1Password 6 does not wish to play nicely on my iMAC. I am able to restart it immediately once I stop the attempted first start. Oh yeah, this issue also shows up if my desktop has gone to sleep for a while.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@nicholsr: @systderr: I'm sorry that you're still having trouble. Be sure to send a diagnostics report as I suggested above so we can figure out why this is happening on your system. Thanks in advance!

This discussion has been closed.