Outdated info on using 1P as an authenticator

wrmweb
wrmweb
Community Member

There's outdated info here: https://support.1password.com/one-time-passwords/

Step 4 is "Enable two-step verification. If it’s already enabled, click Edit next to “Authenticator app” ."

However, on my Dropbox security page, there's no such listing as "Authenticator app."

How do I set up 1P w/ Dropbox?

Thank you,
William

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:authentication

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @wrmweb,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble setting up a one-time password in your Dropbox account and adding it to 1Password!

The steps in that article match what I see in the Security settings for my own Dropbox account, so as far as I can tell, those steps are current. But as those steps indicate, you only need to click Edit next to 'Authenticator app' if two-step verification is already enabled. If it's not already enabled, you don't need to find 'Authenticator app' - you just need to enable two-step verification in those settings (click 'Enable' in the Two-step verification section).

I'm not sure what you're seeing in your Dropbox > Security settings, but does that help? If not, Dropbox explains how to enable two-step verification on their support site here: https://www.dropbox.com/help/363?path=security_and_privacy

Let us know how it goes, thanks! :)

• wrmweb
    wrmweb
    Community Member

Thank you, but two-step is already enabled, and I still don't see that listing. See attached screenshot.
    Thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2016

@wrmweb: Yeah, I'm seeing the same thing Drew is:

You may need to contact Dropbox to find out why this is missing from your account. But I'd say at least try disabling it and then seeing if you can choose the "authenticator app" option when you set it up again. After all, if you told Dropbox you wanted to use a phone instead of an authenticator app, it isn't far fetched to think that they might not offer you this option. You can't have it both ways. Let me know how it turns out!

• wrmweb
    wrmweb
    Community Member

I got it to work by clicking 'edit' next to 'primary #' and going thru the authentication process and choosing app. Maybe update linked page above to reflect this necessity for some? Also, maybe update step 2.2 on that page, as I first looked for ellipses and then realized that they've been replaced by the words "one-time password."

Thank you for your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the update! I'm glad to hear you were able to get the TOTP secret for your Dropbox account from their website. I'm not sure that we can account for all of the variables in their site as part of the 1Password guide, but we can certainly take your feedback into account for the future. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.