Question with Master Password

dig
dig
Community Member

I have 1Password on multiple computers and devices. I changed the master password on one of my computers, but that changes has not propagated to the other devices, which still use the old password.

Is there a way to force all devices to have the same master password?

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: 4.6.2.90
OS Version: OS X 10.12.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dig

Thank you very much for getting in touch with us about this. Have you signed in with the old Master Password? You usually need to sign in one more time with the old password to trigger the syncing and getting the new Master Password working. If you've signed in more than once, syncing seems to be working but this change hasn't kicked in, please let us know so we can see what else might be going on here :chuffed:

• dig
    dig
    Community Member

Okay, so I think I figured it out. It seems that the other devices will continue to use the old password until I log in with the new password. After using the new password once, it will no longer use the old password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That's right! Thanks for following up. I'm sorry for the confusion there! Since 1Password does not store your Master Password anywhere, it cannot sync it. So you need to unlock the app with the "old" Master Password so it can sync your data, which can then be decrypted using the new one going forward. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.