Continuous errors when trying to sync directly to renamed external server

Comments

• KirkC
    KirkC
    Community Member

Grrrrr. On the Mac version 1Password 6 Version 6.5.2 (652003) Synching is miserable. I chose 1Password because it allowed synching to an external server and not a cloud and now the program is almost unusable. When my server is down, I continuously get a message that there is a problem with connecting with the server. I get it. On such dialog should be sufficient. I have two vaults. One local, so that I can get at passwords when not connected to a network and one on a local server that I use to share passwords with my wife. I sync with that vault. Unfortunately I renamed the server, now I am stuck in a loop where 1Password attempts to contact the old server and will not accept changes to the new server. Nor will it let me add a new vault. I am about to give up on this POS. To me, the local server option is the strong point of your product. Without it, 1Password is near worthless. PLEASE FIX ASAP or lose me as a customer

• KirkC
    KirkC
    Community Member

I can add that it is worse than I thought. I tried saving the password to this site, which should have been saved to the local vault. I got no error indication. I quit the program. It continued to tell me that I could not connect to the disconnected server. I restarted 1Password to find my password. IT CAN'T FIND IT!!! That makes this program a double POS. I am not very happy at the moment.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @KirkC,

I'm sorry you keep getting an error message in 1Password about trying to connect to the old server! I hope you don't mind, but since this is unrelated to the problem from the previous discussion, I've moved your posts to a new thread in order to avoid confusion.

If I understand your setup, it sounds like you're using the Folder sync option in 1Password, and you've configured it to sync directly to an external server. That can be problematic if/when that server is unavailable (or if 1Password is otherwise unable to find the server). My understanding is that there's no Apple API to notify 1Password when a network drive/server is no longer available, so that causes problems for 1Password when it tries to sync to that location.

I'll explain another option, but since you're currently getting that error over and over again, let's take care of that first. What you'll want to do (if possible) is disable Folder sync by following these steps:

• Open (and unlock) 1Password.
    • Go to 1Password > Preferences > Sync.
    • Choose None from the “Sync vault with” pop-up menu.
    • Click the Disable Sync button.

If you're unable to do that, here's a workaround:

• Open 1Password and go to File > Backup.
    • In the Backup preferences window, select the new backup you just created and click the Restore button (follow the steps to complete the restore).
    • After the restore, open & unlock 1Password and go back to Preferences > Sync to confirm it is set to None.

Now, if you want to point the Folder sync settings to the renamed external server again, you can do that, and it should work as it did previously. However, you may run into a similar issue again if the server becomes unavailable. Instead, what we recommend for Folder sync is to have it point to a local folder on your Mac, and then use a sync utility / file copy tool (such as Chronosync, rsync, SuperDuper, etc) to copy the contents of the folder to/from the server. That will ensure 1Password won't run into any problems if that server becomes unavailable.

You also mentioned a problem saving a password that you entered on a website. I don't know if that's related to the Folder sync / external server error, so let's make sure that's taken care of first. Once you are no longer getting that looped error message, are you able to try testing the 1Password extension to see if it saves changes to your vault? The easiest way to test that is to go to a site with a sign-in form, enter test information in the fields, and try to sign in - does 1Password prompt you to save a new Login item? If so, and you do, does the new Login item appear in the main 1Password app?

Thanks, and looking forward to hearing back from you! :)

This discussion has been closed.