Having trouble setting up 1Password on new Mac with local vault instead of account

Comments

• RubenOlsen
    RubenOlsen
    Community Member

@Pilar - I have the same issues as @johnhook - it is not about enabling the sync - it is about disabling the sync feature.

I DO NOT WANT TO SYNC MY PASSWORDS TO THE AGILE BITS WEBSITE.

How do we disable this "feature"?

Please advise.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RubenOlsen

I'm sorry to hear that you don't want to stick with our 1Password.com accounts. First of all you need to move your items stored on your Personal vault into Primary. Just right click on them then pick Share > Primary > Move. Once you've moved your items back just go to Preferences in 1Password and pick Accounts. You can sign out from your account there. And that's it. You'll be all set to use 1Password without an account.

If you don't have the Primary vault in your computer you can easily get it by going to Preferences > Advanced and then enable "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" :chuffed:

Please let us know how this goes for you and if yo have an y other questions that we can help you with :chuffed:

• RubenOlsen
    RubenOlsen
    Community Member

The thing is - I am already a 1Password user from version 3 - i have version 4 on my two macbooks pros and on my iPhone. Works perfectly - and I use Dropbox to sync these devices. Between me and my wife we have probably "sold" more than 50 licenses of version 4 - this is how happy we have been with the software.

I know version 4 of your product.

I love version 4 of your product.

I now have a long time consulting contract at a new client (18 months longevity) - so I decided to purchase the new version to use at my new client. This is a client which takes their security very seriously (governmental and international regulations) - and we cannot store any information outside their network (i.e. cloud services).

I need to keep a lot of information, including passwords to several systems, secure - and of course my first thought where to buy the new version of the 1Password software.

I was, to say the least, extremely amazed that the default setup is syncing with a cloud provider - and with no means of only using a local vault.

As a company that have always stated that cloud sync is optional because of security implications, I am very disappointed - and a bit sad. I really do not want to switch to another password keeping software.

I have a deep love for your software.

You have the old code / algorithm lying around for local storage. How difficult can it be to resurrect this? (this is a rhetorical questions from someone who have been developed software for a living since the 80s - including implementing highly secure solutions (think Level 1 PCI DSS)).

I'll check out your description tomorrow when I'm back at my client.

• RubenOlsen
    RubenOlsen
    Community Member

@Pilar in the OnePassword Option dialog on windows I have the following choices: General, Security, Browser, Network and Update. There are no Advanced setting to be found anywhere.

Also when I try to use Accounts & Vaults >> [my name] >> Sign out - the program will not sign me out of the account. Not even if I restart the program.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RubenOlsen,

It sounds like the trouble you're having with 1Password is different from the previous thread, so to avoid confusion, I've split your posts into a separate discussion. I hope you don't mind!

I wonder if we might be confused about whether you need help with 1Password on a Mac or on a Windows PC. You posted your first comment in our Mac forum, so the steps Pilar sent you were for the Mac version of 1Password. And when you replied to her, you mentioned using 1Password on a couple Macs and an iPhone. But in your latest post, your question is definitely about the Windows version of 1Password. Can you please clarify if you need help with 1Password for Mac, 1Password for Windows, or both? If you need help with just the Windows version, we'll be happy to move this discussion to our Windows forum so the right people will see it and be able to help.

Also, if you need help with the Windows version, I think I might know what's causing the confusion: Version 6 of 1Password for Windows supports 1Password.com accounts, and does not currently have full support for local vaults. Our developers are absolutely working on adding support for local vaults to 1Password 6 for Windows, but in the meantime, customers who need to use local vaults will need to stick with 1Password 4 for Windows.

Once we hear back from you with confirmation about what problem/platform you need help with, I'm sure we can get this all cleared up quickly. Thanks in advance! :)

This discussion has been closed.