New computer and I cannot get my 1Password.agilekeychain into 1Password

Jeff_Kimmel
Jeff_Kimmel
Community Member

Got a new computer and have backup in Dropbox. Downloaded a new copy of 1Password, but when double-clicking, it opens to the Master Password window, and rejects my Master Password. Then I went and signed up for a Trial Version, but there is no Sync available. Deleted both versions, and all that is left is 1Password.agilekeychain and 1Password.copy.agilekeychain

Where do I download a copy of 1Password that will allow me to sync with my keychain? Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Sierra 10.12.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Jeff_Kimmel: It only works if the Master Password is correct I'm afraid. For your privacy and security, your Master Password is known only by you. No information about your Master Password is ever sent to us. We cannot reset it for you and you cannot change it without entering the old one. There is also no "back door" to access your data without the Master Password. Like a phone number or postal address, if it’s not correct it doesn’t reach who it’s intended for — or in the case of the Master Password, 1Password doesn’t unlock as intended. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/master-password/#recover-your-master-password

If that doesn't help though, you will need to either restore from a backup, sync from another device, or simply start over. If you changed your Master Password, you can try to restore from a backup, sync from another device, or — failing that — simply start over. 1Password is as secure as the Master Password you choose, but this also means that unless it is entered correctly even you will not be able to unlock it. Please let me know how it turns out. I look forward to hearing back from you!

• Jeff_Kimmel
    Jeff_Kimmel
    Community Member

Brenty,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure I was clear in my original post.

I have my keychain in Dropbox. I have my Your AgileBits Licenses email with my key. I clicked on the Download link, and it downloads. I double click 1Password in my Applications folder, and it opens up asking me for my Master Password. I input my Master Password and the Trial Version opens. I go to Preferences, but there is no Sync available, and no other link for me to copy in my keychain.

Jeff

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Jeff_Kimmel: Thanks for clarifying! Opening the app won't load the vault if it has not been added yet. Did you try double-clicking your vault in Dropbox to add it? Let me know if that helps. :)

• Jeff_Kimmel
    Jeff_Kimmel
    Community Member
    edited December 2016

Brenty,

1Password 6 is in my Applications Folder.

Attached are screen shots.

There is a vault added, but it appears to be from the Trial Version, and will not let me add another.

Thanks,

Jeff

[screenshots with personal information removed by moderator]

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Jeff_Kimmel: Aha! Yep, that's it. You've setup the app with a 1Password.com Account for the subscription service, in which case local vaults will be disabled by default. You can enable local vaults in 1Password Preferences > Advanced, and then you can add your existing vault from Dropbox. However, if you do not currently have data in 1Password, it may be better to start over (Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data). That way you can set it up again and "Use without an account" to use only your existing vault. Does that help? :)

• Jeff_Kimmel
    Jeff_Kimmel
    Community Member

Brenty,

Reset All 1Password Data is grayed out.

Jeff

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2016

@Jeff_Kimmel: Ah, it sounds like you have 1Password open and unlocked. If you lock it (⌃⌥ ⌘ L) it should be available. :)

• Jeff_Kimmel
    Jeff_Kimmel
    Community Member

Brenty,

Okay, so I got to my Dropbox agilekeychain and double clicked, but it will not take my password, and I have not changed it. I'm mystified?

Jeff

• Jeff_Kimmel
    Jeff_Kimmel
    Community Member

Brenty,

Also, I get into 1Password for my iPhone just fine, using the same password.

Jeff

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Jeff_Kimmel: Then it sounds like you have multiple vaults for which you have set different Master Passwords. Think hard. We don't have your Master Password or the ability to reset it for you. If you cannot enter it exactly right, it will not work, regardless of if you are able to use that Master Password for other vaults. It depends entirely on how you set it up in the first place. Do you have all your data on the iPhone? If so, it may be simplest to sync it from there fresh. Are there multiple vaults there as well?

• Jeff_Kimmel
    Jeff_Kimmel
    Community Member

Brenty,

I might have multiple vaults, I don't remember, but I would have used the same Master Password for all of them.

Regardless, I DO have 1Password working on my iPhone, and the data has been syncing to my iCloud account. What would be the easiest way to get the data from iCloud to my MacBook? Thanks,

Jeff

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Jeff_Kimmel: Excellent! If you'd like all of the data in the Primary vault in 1Password for iOS in the Primary vault in 1Password for Mac as well, please do the following:

1. Backup your 1Password data from your iPhone
    2. In 1Password for Mac, go to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data
    3. Setup the app "without an account" and "use existing data" in iCloud

It should only take a few moments to sync, and you should be all set. Let me know how it turns out! :)

• Jeff_Kimmel
    Jeff_Kimmel
    Community Member

Brenty,

Steps 2 and 3 did not work, as it kept asking/rejecting my Master Password. I went and moved 1Password, as well as the two library files to the Trash, and downloaded a new Trial version. I go to License, Add License, and it goes right into Finder (I'm assuming looking for a file). But as you saw from an attachment a few days ago, I have my Key from the 1Password 3 for Mac email of 11/18/2016.

Meanwhile, I now DO have my 1Password data on the Mac (and it works), but it will not Sync (I'm assuming because it is a Trial, and the data is not completely up-to-date).

So, how do I get my Key into 1Password, and will that then allow me to sync with iCloud, which is an up-to-date file? Thanks,

Jeff

• Jeff_Kimmel
    Jeff_Kimmel
    Community Member

Brenty,

Now the Master Password will not work on the Mac; though it still does on the iPhone.

Jeff

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry you're still having trouble with this! I noticed you also emailed us about this problem and have been working with Eva to get things straightened out. You should hear back from her again soon in response to your latest email. In order to avoid confusion, we'll keep the conversation going via email so we don't duplicate efforts between here and there. I'm sure we'll be able to get this all sorted out soon. Thanks for your patience! :)

ref: QMJ-13429-427

This discussion has been closed.